Electronic vs wafer thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brooster, Nov 19, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I want to get a hova-bator for hatching chinken and quail eggs. Which is better the fancy electronic thermostat or the old wafer style thermostat. Also does the turbo-fan make a difference or is it not worth it? One more thing, i was thinking about the picture window, but does it hold heat as well? UGH so many options [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have the electronic turbo fan and I like it.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have the 1588 hova bator as back up incubator so far so good. matter of fact I'm getting ready to set eggs in it tonight.

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    GET THE DIGITAL!!! Didn't mean to yell but I fiddled around with those wafers for years and always had to adjust, up, down, they can stick, etc... My digital unit heats up to the exact temp in 5-10 minutes and STAYS there without ever being touched. The only adjustment you may need to make is when you first set it up. Mine ran a degree and a half too high. I set it down lower and it is perfect. I have the full picture window as well and the temp usually varies maybe .2-.6 of a degree, ever. I don't mean to go on and on but I cannot tell you how nice it is to have excellent hatch rates - some 100% - with this unit. I will never go back to a wafer.

Richard

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Oh, Definite YES to the fan as well. That makes keeping an even temperature simple. All of these features are big improvements to the original model.

Richard

6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    What has been your hatch rate with your incubator? [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    By all means, do yourself a favor and get the electronic thermostat and a turbo fan for sure. Most people who get still air either sell them or use them for hatchers or add the fan later on. Been there done that. I wish I had kept track of all the people on this board who have asked to to install the fan to upgrade their still air incubators.

The wafers work but can be unreliable and like most thing that have gone digital the newer incubators with electronic thermostats are far superior in maintainting a steady temp.

A couple of bad hatches on purchased eggs will pay for the upgraded models to say nothing of the anxt involved in not getting anything to hatch after pampering your incubator for 21 days.

8. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    yea but replacement parts for the electronic model are much more expensive, and hard to find. will the parts last along time or am i going to be paying an arm and a leg for replacement parts? [​IMG]

9. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    also, will the egg turner fit in the electronic thermostat incubator (i believe it does but just making sure)

10. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    ok now i am really confused. Little giant has an electronic thermostat as well, but it is a lot cheaper. Is it as good as the gqf electronic thermostst incubator? Maybe i will just get all of them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by