1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

elevated coops/coops on stilts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mary, May 25, 2007.

1. Mary

Mary New Egg

May 24, 2007
    What are the rules concerning a coop built up off the ground? How far will a chicken be willing to walk up a ramp? I posted about the 3x10 coop earlier, and was thinking of elevating part of it and letting them have the under part for more shade/shelter. The roof would overhang a bit too. I need to figure out what I want, since my DH will be willing to help this weekend, and that may be my only chance at getting his help.
    THanks!!

2. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    i have 2) 3 1/2 x 10 breeding pens for bantam trios that i like alot. i put an elevated coop so they'd have the full 10ft of run. i put the 3x3 coop with roost and nest box about 2 1/2 ft off the ground. they seem happy.
    [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have several 20 inches off the ground. I love it because it gives them someplace to get out of the sun and expands the run area. There is a photo of my latest one in the stickyed post for coop designs. I use a 12" wide piece of plywood or 1x12 if I have it and put the rubbermaid non slip shelf liner on it. They have no problem getting up and down the ramp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by