Elevated food problem!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redneck farmer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I received some advice from fellow BYCers because my chicks were spilling so much food... They told me to elevate it... So I did( put the feeder on a role if duck tape) but they still have food in the ground from them spilling it- [​IMG]
    Comments, suggestions? Ideas!? Anything would help! :) :) :p

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I always have a lot of food wasted from that type of feeder. You could try putting it inside a pan to catch the overflow.

3. redneck farmer

Good idea.. What type of feeder do u recommend!?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Elevate and make so when it falls out it lands on another bird accessible surface. That will give birds two passes at it in your brooder before it falls out of reach. I like have feeder actually over a box so it is not actually scratched out. The box (made of wood or plastic) needs to be cleaned relatively frequently. I also put a little hay in that box so chicks can get scratching urge out of their system as they look for crumbs.

5. redneck farmer

[​IMG]- how does that look

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

good :) if it works.

you could also have a larger area like a piece of cardboard under that so it doesn't fall thru the wire

I don't know much about raising chicks on wire, but it sure doesn't look too comfortable. lol. sorry no offense.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Better. They should consume some that falls into plate but they will still knock some down as they go through their scratching routine.

8. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Lookin good! Very similar to what we do for our chicks, though we raise on pine shavings so they can scratch around and eat off the floor too.

9. redneck farmer

Only half the cage is wire. The other side is thick hay. We keep it half wire so the poop just falls though

10. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by