Elevating Large OverEZ Coop

Aunt Tat

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
Portland, Oregon
Has anyone elevated their Large Over EZ coop? If so, what did you use (concrete blocks, wood platform/remove existing legs?) I want to provide a bit more space for the girls.

Thankewverymuc

I can't say about that particular coop, but in my area sheds are commonly put up a couple feet on concrete blocks to protect the wood from termites.

It is important to note that this area does not suffer from frost heave and that the compacted sand which is our soil experiences minimal settling. My house is actually up on concrete piers with no dug-in foundation. In an area subject to frost heave or settling due to soft soils you'll need to follow local building advice about digging in a proper foundation under the piers.

It's also important to use the concrete blocks in the correct orientation. The strength is found with the holes VERTICAL! We have a shed that will have to be jacked up and given new piers because an incompetent contractor laid the blocks wrong, several have been crushed, and the shed now tilts badly.

Has anyone elevated their Large Over EZ coop? If so, what did you use (concrete blocks, wood platform/remove existing legs?) I want to provide a bit more space for the girls.

Thankewverymuc
Here is mine, I used 4 inch concrete block to raise it to keep my waterer under the coop. Plus an extra area to hide from hawks! Best picture I had of the set up.
20210502_153612.jpg

I don't have such a nice Large Over EZ coop but I hope it is ok if I ask some questions about the elevation.
Needs the area under the coop to be cleaned often (freed of poop)? How do you all do it/reach there to do so, is it easy? Do you use special tools to reach there?
(I want my coop to be over the ground so my little ones can use the space under it - shade, hiding place, perhaps dust bathing area - and to have no ground cold, and it will not be a walk in coop so I hope the hight will help to manage everything inside)

Here is mine, I used 4 inch concrete block to raise it to keep my waterer under the coop. Plus an extra area to hide from hawks! Best picture I had of the set up.
View attachment 2654487
Mmanist may I ask how high over the ground is the coop entrance for your silkies? Do they have/need a ramp to get up/in?

I don't have such a nice Large Over EZ coop but I hope it is ok if I ask some questions about the elevation.
Needs the area under the coop to be cleaned often (freed of poop)? How do you all do it/reach there to do so, is it easy? Do you use special tools to reach there?
(I want my coop to be over the ground so my little ones can use the space under it - shade, hiding place, perhaps dust bathing area - and to have no ground cold, and it will not be a walk in coop so I hope the hight will help to manage everything inside)

Mmanist may I ask how high over the ground is the coop entrance for your silkies? Do they have/need a ramp to get up/in?
I'll measure tomorrow. It maybe a foot off the ground. But sitting on a slope. So my ramp isn't very steep. Some use it. Some hope in without the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom