Elfie may have been stung by a wasp - advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Topic says it all. I was nearby, heard a duck say "ouch" in their duck language. Got outside, things seemed normal except there was a wounded yellow jacket walking around in the day pen. On closer inspection, Elfie's been making that open mouth quick yawning motion.

2. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Update:

Elfie's up and around and has stopped the yawning movement. I killed the yellow jacket and removed it from the pen. Of course, there are a few around the yard at any given moment. Mostlly they leave us alone.

Anyway, I have relaxed just a little bit. Everyone is acting normal, no one is limping, or shaking her head with her mouth open, or any of that. I did find somewhere a recommendation to use ACV to take the sting out. So I poured a fresh pan of water and added a splash of ACV to it. Did Elf show an interest? Of course not!

Looking right now as if she did not have a strong reaction to the sting, if indeed my detective skills are worth two cents. All I know is a duck yelled, there was an injured yellow jacket, Elfie seemed to have something uncomfortable in her mouth for several minutes.

It would still be a help if anyone has seen dire results from mouth stings, and knows what to be prepared for. My guess is that like humans, some ducks may be allergic to stings and others just shrug them off.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Good to hear of no further problems for her. If i had seen this sooner I would have recommended watching her carefully to make she she was breathing ok. Any swelling in the mouth of throat could have quickly caused her breathing problems.

I havent had any issues with stings with my ducks, but I did once loose one after a spider bite that that caused paralysis.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, duckyfromoz,

I thought of your duck getting bitten by the spider. I did watch her for a while and even a few hours later she seems fine. She is one that lets me pet and hold her so I could listen carefully to her breathing. Only nose whistles, which are typical for her.

It's the time of year here when yellow jackets get aggressive. I doubt she'll try again, if it really was Elf who got zapped.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Glad to hear Elfie is doing good. I watched my duckling try to eat a wasp one morning, but after the initial bite he backed off. But I did have a dachshund once get stung numerous times and had to get the shot because she did have a reaction. she was only 9weeks old and tiny. so you never know.[yellow jackets]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Miss Lydia.

When Cat Ion was a baby, she grabbed a bee and got stung. Her tiny little paw got so swollen I was alarmed. I held her, and used an ice pack on her paw for a while. She made it just fine.

The ducks are tough in certain ways - they seem to stay pretty healthy. But a yellow jacket sting in the mouth has potential problems.

Anyway, apparently my little Elfie, who was so little at first we weren't sure she'd make it, doesn't have a sting allergy.

We aren't close to the duck vet - it's an hours' drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by