Elizabeth Taylor has a blocked nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scatters, Feb 13, 2015.

1. scatters

scatters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

Ok so I haven't touched it yet but does anyone know what this could be?

I've had the flock of fancy girls for less then a year they have been no trouble but lizzy is our oldest girl she seems happy and healthy in every other way but I think this blockage has grown.

Any advice would be great!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Poor girl!

Looks like she's got a clogged nare from dirt, feed, snot, and whatever else chickens get into.

As long as she's acting normally, eating, and drinking, you should be okay to dig that outta there... Keep in mind that chicken puss/mucous is a hard, cheesy substance. Grab some tweezers and get to picking. It can help to do this in a bathroom with a hot shower on to humidify the room and soften any hard tissue build up. Imagine this is like a HUGE clogged pore... Except her nostril. :/

If anything starts to bleed, stop and put some antibiotic ointment ***without painkiller*** and giver her a day or two before attempting to remove it again.

If she's exhibiting signs of lethargy, wheezing, coughing, sneezing, dripping, or bubbling from the eyes, please let us know.

Otherwise, keep us updated! :)

MrsB

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Get some boric acid (eye wash), and a syringe or eye dropper that has suction. Wrap the bird in a towel to keep her from struggling. Hold the head so she can't bob her head around and saturate the blocked nare with a few drops of eye wash. You may be able to pick it out with your finger nail in one small lump, or gently pull it out with suction from the dropper or syringe. Look inside the bird's mouth to see if there's any yellow plaque looking substance in there. Let us know what happens.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. scatters

scatters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    Thank you!

It is definitely a blockage, poor girl walk right too me, had no idea what was in store for her!
    I have managed to get most of it with my fingernail just catching the edge but now there is a lot of yellow substance inside.
    I have tried salt water and a cotton tip but it seems to need scraping out.

I will try the eye wash idea but can't get my hands on any just now, would salt water be ok?

Also is there any chance the nare will start to close back up now the stuff is removed?
    I don't want that muck to be trapped inside.

I think I will have to wait for my partner to get home to help me hold her,

if thats not a romantic plan for valentines day I just don't know what is![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sounds like you're on the right track. In lieu of eye drops, I think *anything* would be better than nothing!

And there's nothing like digging in and inspecting the nooks and crannies of our chickens to really get us in the mood. ;)

MrsB

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Saline would be fine to use, and peroxide can also be used in stubborn cases, since it is very good at debriding and disinfects, but just don't get the peroxide in the eye. Sorry I didn't see your last post until now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by