1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ellie had a seizure :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    At least I think its what it was!? She's our "special" BO we already have seperate bc my ex-roo almost de-combed her and everyone went at her head...maybe she had some trauma from that? IDK, b/c i thought she did seize that day of the attack...

well tonight (she's seperated and sleeps in a dog crate) i went to go put the crate up on our table outside (i do everynight so she's higher and not on the ground) and must have really spooked her and she just started going crazy in there flopping around!? I actually thought she was dying but then i finally helped her back over a little and she just sat that bok boking at me for a little...i held her and offered her water and then put her back in w/her blanket over her? Any advice?

I'll obviously have to watch her close but just hoping they dont become more frequent!?

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

You said it was night time? Chickens can't see when it's dark. If so she was probably scared of you because she couldn't see you.

But if that's not the case, I'd keep an eye on her.

Good luck with your hen!

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thks so much!

It was at night time and i DO think i scared her when i put her cage down but she was FLAAALING and then leg jerking and on her back...i almost think maybe i scared her into a seizure maybe? Is that possible? IDk? She is my sweet girl but she is just plain weird...my other chickens when you drop them to the ground after olding land on their feet of course, Ellie...mostly stumbles and forgets she has feet sometimes! I'm hoping it wasn't one but it sure looked like it? She does spook EASILY (hence why she's alone...she just cant handle other chickens)

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

There are some lines of chickens prone to epilepsy but I think it's mainly Egyptian Fayoumis. Head trauma could certainly cause seizures. Keep her in a quiet, dark are until she seems better. Minimize contact because it could cause a seizure. Keep her warm with a lamp instead of a blanket.
    When she's eating, drinking and seems fine, watch her another couple of days before letting her back out.
    Good luck!

5. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks, she's definetly eating, drinking and walking around fine...since it was nighttime i did just that-covered her with a blanket and let her rest and observed her in the am...she's walking around just like she usually does so i'll just monitor i guess and watch for more seizures--my poor sweet girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by