Ellie Is Trying to Go Broody Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Jun 30, 2011.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Hopefully I get this right ... Ellie has been going on and off her nest last 3 days.. first two days 2 and 3 hours, yesterday 7 hours. today 5 hours, then off a few minutes to eat etc then back on..
    Sister took these pictures for me on her cell phone..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

i cant see hmph....... [​IMG]

3. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    yup. She probably has 10 or so eggs under her. When she goes to eat, you can swoop in and hold a flashlight to the egg and you will probably see blood vessels or something. I noticed that the yolk moves until it starts to develop, then it doesn't roll around in there. Be quick but gentle, and try to put each one back just like you found it.

She will be very insistent that you stay away, at least mine are. One actually bites! So I wait for her to eat, then I check development. I have about 7 that have veins. and one I think will go rotten. This is why I check periodically. I am watching it.....

I found three had externally pipped, so I swiped them and hatched them inside with the help of a heat lamp. any ducklings out there will die, so I have to take them. Only one actually made i this time, but the last batch from a broody chicken all of them made it....I was overrun with ducklings!

4. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    she was off at 1:00 then went back on when I went out at 5:00 she was back off... Don't know if she will go back on tonight... while she was scaffing down mazuri ( I slipped in a big pile of duck poo) and about feel. LOL mazuri got dumped in pile. I scooped up as much as I could.. they ate what fell on ground.. anyway while she had her back to me and was at least 50 feet away I slipped one of Daisy's in from today. she had them covered with the grass clippings so I don't know where they are.. I'll try and look if they go to the kiddy pool out of site..

5. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Ellie just went back on the nest 8:45 this evening.. I wonder if she will stay on it the whole night. This is the first time she has gone back to it at night..

6. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Ellie was on her nest all night . I got up a little before 7: 00 and went out to check. They love a hand full of cat food in the morning after they are let out so I put a handfull on side walk a little ways from Ellie and her bush.. When she figured out there food she came out and got her share and then went for some grass and then the bowl of food I had in another place.. I had dumped their rubber maid tubes so she went back to the nest.
    I got them refilled so when she comes out again she can get in if she wants. Next time she's off and the eggs are uncovered I need to count...
    she is using the grass clippings .. But hasn't pulled feather yet.

She has been off the nest now since some time this afternoon... was hopping she'd go back on after dark.. Hmmm. silly duck

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by