ello fellow chicken keepers.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suffolkchick, Aug 4, 2014.

1. suffolkchick

suffolkchick New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    hi ya, im from the uk but this is a very good site. thanks
    i have 3 girls there legbars, mrs doyle, mrs doubtfire and mrs brown. there 3 months old at the mo. looking forward to getting some eggs at the end of the year hopfuly...
    iv tryed looking up the breed but not found much yet. and i have 2 dogs that are slowly getting used to them. all fun and games. i dont know what else to say, hope to get to know ppl on here. x

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your hens have some cute names. For lots of information on Legbars, just click on https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/cream-legbar-originally-bred-by-r-c-punnett. Be careful with your dogs around your chickens. As many BYC members can sadly tell you, dogs and chickens don't generally mix very well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. suffolkchick

suffolkchick New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    thanks for the site address, very useful. i dint know they were rare till after i got them, there was a lady that breads them very well near by and i thought they were pretty. my chickens are in a coop behind a fence away from the dogs but i let the girls out for a run around over the weekend and the dogs would not leave them alone once dogs were inside we found the girls could get under the fence.... ops.

7. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome fellow UKer! I am in Gloucestershire and also have a couple of Legbars amongst my 24 strong flock.

Although they are classed as a rare breed, Cream Crested Legbars are pretty common in the UK, I assume the 'rare' status must come from Worlwide numbers. I guess it could also mean that the pure strains are rare as it is also very common for them to have been interbred with other blue egg laying birds such as Aracauna and Cotswold Legbar....meaning that they have lost a lot of their true 'Cream' traits. My two girls, Hope and Faith, are very likely mixed or just poor examples as they are a little too salmon-coloured on the back and chest....but I love them just the same....and they lay the most beautiful, perfect baby-blue eggs.

8. suffolkchick

suffolkchick New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    just found on here a, were are you, forum and there is 2 others on there that have legbars. so yeah must be a uk thing. when did yours start laying eggs? and do they fly when there bigger. mine did a little flap and a hop the other day trying to eat a fly. funny to watch.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by