Elongated egg? Normal or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxy_white, Nov 30, 2007.

1. roxy_white

roxy_white New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    I've noticed that one of my hens seems to only lay every 2, 3 or 4 days, it depends but she doesn't seem to lay eggs daily like my other hen. I had noticed that her eggs were a bit longer than my other hen's eggs but when I went up today there was a super long egg that she had laid. It was the same thickness of the egg that my other hen had laid but about 1 and a half times the length. I cracked it open to see whether it had a double yoke or to see whether there was anything wrong with it but it was just like any other egg. Is this normal for some hens? Could it indicate that there is something wrong with my hen or is it ok? She has always laid slightly longer eggs but they seem to be getting longer and longer lately. Could this cause problems for her?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It could very well be in her genetics. I have had a few that laid eggs that look like huge capsules. Also have two Dark Brahmas that lay huge double yolk eggs all the time.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, my RIR, Reba, lays torpedo eggs more often than not. No problem, just her way.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, that is normal and actually kinda fun to have eggs that are pointy or longer than others.... gotta love those pretty hens!

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by