Elongated Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patrickfoy1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. patrickfoy1

patrickfoy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    I have a girl that is laying a elongated egg everyday.... They are normal other than being 3 inches long....a couple of them have had double yokes. She is almost a year old...I have 5 chickens... they all seem healthy..... any place for concern?

2. patrickfoy1

Jun 3, 2016
    [​IMG]sorry...meant to say thank you....

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Has she just recently had a change in her egg shape or has this always been the shape she has produced? Elongated eggs aren't really anything to be alarmed by, and are the "normal" egg produced by many birds - my Polish used to lay some ridiculously long and pointy eggs when I had them. Eggs are only uniform in shape and size when they have been sorted and packaged by a commercial producer looking for that uniformity -- in reality eggs come in all sorts of sizes and shapes - from long and pointy to almost perfectly round and all points in between. It's when there is a sudden change in things that it can be indicative of something being amiss, but in this case, even if the change has been sudden *I* wouldn't classify it as anything to be alarmed by.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I have one that lays elongated eggs, another that lays eggs that are almost round, and one that lays eggs with two pointy ends...
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    One of our hens lays elongated eggs, she always has. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. asiawaka

asiawaka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern Colorado
    my polish lay very elongated eggs :)

7. patrickfoy1

Jun 3, 2016
    Thank you for your support.... my Chicken Friends.... she's good and healthy, so this must just be her style right now.... I'll just roll with it and keep an eye on her.... really appreciate the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by