1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Elvira! Elvis. . . Elvira?!?!?! -- Gender help, please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alycia, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    I don't have a picture just yet, because now with the winter months, my birdies pretty much stay inside the coop all day long unless it gets like 40 or so out and the lighting is pure crap in the coop. Lol. Attempted to get a picture, but the little guy/gal just wasn't having it, being held and pictures snapped. Will try to get a better one tomorrow.

A July 2009 hatch, he or she is a Phoenix/Sumatra cross -- the mother being a Silver Phoenix and the father a Black Sumatra. I named it Elvira in hopes for a girl and thought it was going to look like just a Sumatra hen with the black coloring, however, it crowed in the brooder at about a few weeks old. Name was changed to Elvis. As he became of age, I put him out with the rest of the birdies and he hasn't crowed yet. He appears to be getting saddle feathers though I could be wrong., but his tail hasn't curled yet. It is long, but I figure it is the Phoenix part of him/her. The comb is also very small, and appears to be a single one, rather than the Sumatra's typical comb type.

So, I'm at a loss. Any advice? I'm kind of hoping for a hen, I have too many roo's. I know a picture would be of better help, but I'm kinda out of luck with that just yet. Haha.

2. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

We'd love to see a picture whenever you can get one. Then we can take more of an educated guess.

3. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to get one tomorrow. Camera shy little guy or girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by