Elvira is Egor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by r4eboxer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I ordered three naked neck/turken pullet chicks from ideal and they came back and said they would only have one available so I took 'her'. As 'she' grew I noticed how much bigger she was from the other chicks. 'She' got big tail feathers, a really red comb and wattle. I kept going back and forth about her sex. I even got a fart egg and checked her behind to see if she was the one who laid it. Well Elvira crowed this morning so 'she' is now Egor.

I have a question about his behavior. I had decided 'Elvira' was going to meet the sharp end of an ax this weekend due to her aggressive behavior and biotchiness (I suppose that is why 'she' decided she'd better crow this morning tehe) So anyway, Egor has been chasing down the hens and grabbing them by the neck. He is 4 1/2 months old, he will be halfway across the yard see a pullet and run to grab her by the neck. I have 6 older hens who are 7 1/2 months old that he is afraid of and he keeps his distance but pretty much hangs in the same area they do. My question is, Is this normal roo behavior or is he treating his girls poorly? He may meet the sharp end of the ax after all but I have never had a roo (this old) and don't know if this is normal and he is just establishing his dominance and will settle down once he has accomplished this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by