Elvis... a sad day - the end of his reign

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Suzie, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Elvis, my very first Muscovy male died today, he was King overall.. he fought "Boss" ( my now deceased ) gander... Elvis won the fight and he reigned here for six years... kept every duck and goose in check..

He strutted out of his house this morning as usual...all seemed well and I had no inkling that this afternoon would bring such grief..

The geese were making a loud noise and were gathered at the bank of the river... I walked over there to ascertain what all the commotion was about....my darling boy Elvis was dead.. his body was stiff and I gently picked him up and cuddled and caressed him.. wishing that he would somehow come back to life and that all would be well - I know that things will never be the same here..Freddie, his goose love and constant companion is distraught, as are Rossi and Stripes, his lifetime friends.... the duck house is in mourning...tomorrow I will bury Elvis... he deserves a special place here for his rest.... I am so upset right now.... reading of the lifespan of a Muscovy.... he should still be here ....so awful for all of us here ........why my darling?

Rest in peace my beloved Elvis... you were and always will be my special baby duck.

Love forever

S

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So very sorry Suzie, that is very sad. [​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry! RIP Elvis.

-Kathy

4. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks Miss Lydia..

This is so hard for me...I know you will understand my heartache.. not just for me but for his duck friends and for Freddie the goose who was his companion and greatest love.. it is heartrending to see Freddie... she does not understand why Elvis is not with her tonight.

5. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    So sorry for your loss.:(

6. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks casportpony...Kathy... We have shared many posts... you too have had such sad losses!

Thanks too chickeneighbor!

I guess life goes on...but we do mourn the loss of such special ones.. he will be in my heart forever...ugly sod but wonderful too!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I find it helps to pick a nice spot in the garden to bury the special ones. This may sound silly, but I like to put some flowers on them before I cover them with dirt.

-Kathy

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She'll mourn Suzie, about 6 weeks ago I lost one of my 9yr old ducks{Scovy} she had always slept with her sister since I had gotten them at 3 months old. I really worried about Shirley being alone after Lavern died. I could tell she was confused about why she was alone in their stall and I even tried putting her with her other sister but she would have no part of it. They have to go through the mourning process the same as we do, I do think having other flock members helps and they will finally get on with their lives it just takes time. Shirley has her other family members that she hangs with each day and I think she has done really well since Lavern died. Hopefully Freddie will find solace in the rest of the flock she is close to. It's such a hard thing to go through especially when there is no explanation for why it happened. I'm faced each day with my 3 old ones all going on 10yrs old that I could lose them at any time now. We just have to love them and enjoy them while we have them. [​IMG]

9. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    [​IMG]AD
    Elvis ...front right (with angel wing) the first day he came to live here...purchased him from a local market... he was in a small cage and I just had to buy him and the other four sad ducklings he was caged with... he free ranged and had a wonderful and stress free life of love and great respect... I will so miss your personality my precious boy...RIP...

10. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Kathy... that is so like me.... I bury my babies with fresh flowers.... are we silly or what? The only flowers I have now are Winter pansies... Elvis may think that insulting but I will inter some with him anyway.... it is so raw for me right now.... just as well nobody can see me right now.... I will probably explode the computer right now with my tears....now that would be a photograph to show on here!

My humour seems to come to the fore when I am so very upset..... I am strange! My way of dealing with trauma I suppose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by