1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Elvis beats up groupies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gigglssmls, Dec 7, 2012.

1. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    My beautiful Rooster Elvis who is one of the large breeds like you see on a weather vane.... BIG and beautiful.... problem is he tries to spur people. We cut back his spurs but he still goes after people. He never goes after me but he doesn't like my step daughter at all and chases her to spur her. She makes is worse by screaming and flailing her arms while running away. He has also gone after my nurse two or three times but she carries a stick and she is not afraid of him so its ok However, I cannot have him trying to spur kids and my nurse etc. I can't see myself getting rid of him; he is my baby. What can I do? :[​IMG]

Sincerely,
    Michelle

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Is it possible to place him in a dog crate when your nurse and kids/other people comes over?

3. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Yes and no.... I am terminally ill and depend on help to take care of my chicken chores. I got the chickens because I needed something I could do that would make me feel needed and productive since most of the time I am stuck in bed or the couch. I wear Oxygen 24/7/365 and cannot be left alone so that is why my nurse is with me when I take care of the chickens in the morning. As far as ,y step daughter I COULD keep her in the house but I know it would break her heart. I gave her a stick to carry and told her to walk WITH me and not turn her back to him. Someone told me that at about a year old Roosters go through a hormone rush that lasts a couple months and they become a bit aggressive but it passes. Some people have suggested getting rid of him and getting a bantie rooster but I LOVE my big beautiful rooster. We have bonded. He actually sings with me. I know I'm a dork. I just feel torn/ [​IMG]

Michelle

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It possibly could be a phase he's going through. Are you able to hold him? If you can, and if your daughter is willing to (and not too young) work with the rooster, get her to hold him with his head facing behind her, tucked under her arm, football style every time he tries to attack.

If that doesn't work, you can try to get her to hold the rooster down on the floor/ground (my preferred reforming way). Keep him pinned with one hand and hold his head low with the other until he stops trying to escape, then let him up. The idea is to make him submit to you so he is lower on the pecking order. After doing this 1-2 times I never had a problem with my remaining roosters I wanted to keep. If I had to do it more than 3 times I send the hard headed roosters to the freezer. There is an article someone posted here not too long ago that explains this better than I can, but this method has worked for me every time I tried it. I'll see if I can find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by