emaciated rabbits with possible ear mites! advice needed please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by amyandkids, Jan 20, 2015.

1. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Ok so yesterday I got in touch with a woman who had rabbits for sale, 4 of them and she told me the 2 Flemish were small for the breed but they are still kind of young so I wasn't to concerned, so we decided to trade her rabbits for some of my hens. She arrived at my house with the rabbits just before sundown. She gave me the whole cage they were all in, so I looked them over quickly there fur looked good there eyes looked ok but they were all scared huddled together, and she traded her large French lop for a tiny serama hen. The French lop looks beautiful and big, so we made our trade and she went on her way, and in a rush I didn't REALLY check the bunnies to good as my children needed to get to bed and I was busy! This morning as I was putting all the bunnies in there new homes I noticed the French lop was very thin, and the female Holland lop is very thin, the male and female Flemish aren't too thin but thin, the male Holland is the best weight out of all of them! So I went and got T&A hay cubes and show feed and other little rabbit treats along with the mineral blocks for all of them! Then I noticed tonight they are shaking there heads a bit, I also have 20 other rabbits so I know this is not normal! I don't see any mites or scabs, but I did notice some of the bunnies have a weird scar on there ear as if they had cattle tags, or even worse someone pierced there ears for earings!!!!!! I don't know how they were housed before so I don't know if the females are pregnant or not, I hope not as they are in no health for that! What else should I do for them and feed them to get them to a healthy weight? Thank you in advance!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You need to find out what they were on before and get them back onto that, I think, changing diet too quickly can kill. Weaning onto a new diet is safer. If you can't do that, at least don't let them have a smorgasbord of rich foods so suddenly. If they're already very deficient and they're gorging on this new diet you've given them they can severely overdo it and kill themselves. I'd remove the mineral blocks immediately, personally, they do sound deficient, but deficiency kills slower than overdose.

I would get back into contact with the old owner myself and ask when they were last wormed, what with, what feed they were on, and any other relevant questions you can think of. In their condition I don't think pregnancy is too likely to be an issue, they're pretty good at aborting and reabsorbing fetuses if conditions are unfavorable.

The scars I don't know about, maybe they were left in with an aggressive buck, or maybe they had those mothers that have a munch on their ears and feet. :/ Tagging rabbit ears or giving them piercings would be strange indeed but can't rule anything out till we know.

These sites might help figure out what's wrong. I expect multiple things are probably in need of addressing and a vet might be a good idea, but of course that may be out of your financial reach at the moment. They do sound pretty run down though.
    Quote: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html
    http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-health-feeding/
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/search.html?qt=&st=rabbit&qp=&charset=&la=&start=0

Sorry I'm not more help, I'm pretty new to rabbits too, only kept a couple of pet ones before.

Best wishes.

3. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    thank you, My suspicion is she was feeding a lot of carrots and maybe scraps or too much veggies, there poo is quite soft and rusty colored, I gave them mostly coastal hay that they ran from at first, and only a little bit of pellet food. Also the mineral block I only let them taste it a little and took it out, I figured I would do that once a day for just a little that they might need. as I know you shouldn't change to much all at once! If they do not improve soon I will get ahold of a vet but I hope I don't need to! thank you.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good luck with them. I figured you probably knew you shouldn't change too much at once but sometimes people don't know so I just mentioned it, just in case... ;)

Best wishes. Hope it goes well.

5. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    Thank you, they now have perfect poo, and they don't run from me when I approach them now! Just the polish lop had eye crusties, when I cleaned them she had soars there so I don't know how long they were there, but she had tiny crusties again today that I cleaned promptly,i think she enjoys when I clean her eyes! I don't want to put meds that close to her eyes, so I will just keep them clean for now.

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    There's natural meds you can use that won't hurt her eyes, but I understand the concern. Aloe vera is a simple but often surprisingly effective one for sores, even huge ulcers.

Hope they make a full recovery.

Best wishes.

7. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    Cleaning her eyes with just warm water a couple times a day has worked good! were she had the soars is a little bald but healing fine!!! Also they are gaining weight!

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    So far sounds great. Good work! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by