Email notices

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
I have been getting way too many email notices about subscribed threads.

For example, tonight at about 9:45 I asked a question and by 10:05 I had 4 replies. Great! But I also had 4 emails.

Normally this isn't the way a forum works, or is it? Normally a forum will only send out an email once, and not again until you visit that thread again.

Thoughts?

Chris

You are getting them because your subscribing to a topic.
When there is a reply after yours you get an email.
Just go into those threads and click the "unsubscribe" link.

When you are offline you only get one notice, but if you are online it will send an email for every reply. I don't subscribe anymore, I just go the link on the lower left that takes me to the list of threads I've posted to myself. (Show Your Posts)

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't the email say you won't get another til you visit the thread? and yet everytime someone post on the thread you get another email and you have not revisited the thread. These emails fill my inbox so I do not subscribe to many threads that I would like to follow .

So just post some sort of comment like "Wow" OR "hmmm" and then follow them under " show your posts"
thumbsup.gif

There are details here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130431

Yes, you will only get one email notification until you visit the forum again, but if you keep visiting the forum and that thread, the system then resets.

It doesn't know anything more than when the last time was you visited, so if you keep visiting it keeps resetting and keeps sending you updates.

You can test this. Subscribe to a really popular thread right before you go to bed. You will get one email notification even if there were 500 posts. BUT if you keep coming to the forum and reading that thread over and over you'll keep getting notifications.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but I don't think that is true. I left that section and checked out the other threads till I was notified that I had email(s).

It's not a big deal. I usually remember what threads I am involved in (or look at the dot
big_smile.png
).

And I have come to the conclusion that this site is just too much to keep up with. If I learn something every day I am appreciative. But to think that I can keep up with all the threads... forget it!

Back
Top Bottom