Embarking on a broody mission

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jul 9, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    So, im a desprite attempt to have a broody hen, Im preforming "experiment" to make my Cochin hen broody

http://www.mypetchicken.com/hatching-eggs/chapter-4-choosing-between-an-incubator-and-a-hen.aspx <---- says that a hormone (prolactin)

Is what makes a hen broody, soo what food or things should i give her to increase the production of prolactin ??

( any tips or advice on your own special ways that YOU incourage your hens to brood would be greatly appreciated )

I've tried leaving eggs in her spot (shes the only one laying of my 2 cochin hens, the other one went broody like a month ago and hatched out 7 out of 11 trader joe's eggs ) and she never stays on the eggs, she lays her egg, sits for a while and leaves [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have two Brahma hens who have been broody or with chicks pretty well since they have started to lay eggs.

My chickens free range, roosters present, treats of bread and fortified margarine and give them their own shells back roasted and crumbled up.

I don't think I am doing anything special, but my girls are BROODY!

Sandie

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I have two cochin hens, good thing i ordered more cochins and some silkies

by this time next year, i really want one of my hens to hatch out some duck eggs [​IMG]

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Well I found the fool proof trick !!! [​IMG]

OK..here it is.......................... decide that there's NOTHING you can do to get that hen broody, AND IF BY MAGIC ~*BAM*~ ....broody hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    so much for having a broody.........my sisters dog attacked her now she doesnt want to sit [​IMG]

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    HOLD ON !! shes been sitting on the nest area with golfballs since 8:00 A.M. today..........hmmmmmmmmmmm

Im soo getting duck eggs, if she stays all day sitting !!!!!!!

7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:MUST SHE AAAAAAAALLLLLWWWWAAAAAAYYYSS GET OFF !!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by