embden geese

leggomyegg0

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Robbins
About a month ago I adopted 6 embden geese from the animal shelter... The jailbirds got sent to the pokie for eating the neighbors corn seedlings, after the owner failed to contain them. The animal control seemed really heavy handed with them, and now I have a goose with what appears to be a broken wing... She still flaps it, but isn't holding it right... They are very distrustful of people, and i was wondering if this was a breed characteristic or just from being man handled? After a month they still hiss at me, though they do wait on me in the morning honking for their breakfast... Anyone with suggestions on making friends with my new additions.

Claudette

I really don't know but it sounds like it could be a little of both. I just got a 1 1/2 month old super dewlap with a buff the same age. She is as sweet as sugar but the dewlap wants to attack all the other birds right from the start. I've read that the dewlaps are laid back but I don't see that in this little one. It's stand offish to me as well. The guy who had him told me the female buff was sweet and liked to be held or pet and the other (dewlap) was nice. I'm trying to figure out this myself with the dewlap. I don't know the sex of this baby but I hope he won't be aggressive because that will be a big problem. I hope your geese will begin to trust you soon. I've been sitting outside with the two several times a day so they know I'm a safe "zone" for them. Maybe you could try the same thing and use a treat once in a while. I wouldn't try petting just let them come to you. It could take a while.

Might be angel wing , heres a link and pics. as far as getting them to trust you, just as crj said spend time with them outside, just sitting with them, talking to them quitely. just your calm presence will probably win them over. I'm sure they have been stressed alot being at an animal shelter. Poor babies, please post back as to how they are doing. img/smilies/welcome-byc.gif" alt="welcome-byc" />">https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=490564

and Bless you for rescueing them...
smile.png

Last edited:
Miss Lydia,
thank you so much for the link on fixing her Angel wings... I can't tell you how many local vets I called, only to be told, we don't that... Call so and so, who either also didn't do it, or was 3+ hours away. She's not going to be happy about it, but in the long run I think it will be a good thing. She is my second largest goose... I wish I had thought about writing to the forum earlier. This is such a HUGE resource!

Claudette

I have two embden geese, a male and a female. With me they are sweet and want to be with me but they don't like my daughter and are standoffish with one of my sons. I dont' know if this is a breed thing or not as these are our first geese. My daughter is rather loud at times and our son has only just moved in with us so they don't know him. I try to spend as much time with them in the yard as I can and they follow me everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom