Embden Goose male or female

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nonsequitur, Oct 2, 2016.

1. nonsequitur

nonsequitur New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Hey my first bird was given to mensure about 6 months ago. I believe Aduck is a boy but I just wanted to double check. I have him bonded to a little Muscovy and a barred Hen.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also my my Muscovy PekeBoo and Aduck are really close. Do I need to worry about anything if PekeBoo is a girl?

[​IMG]

2. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    The goose definitely looks like a gander to me. Broad neck, a lack of underside feathers and he just has that gander stature. I could be wrong, and I've been wrong before, so I hope someone else chimes in.

I once bonded a gander with 10 chicken hens and didn't have any problems. The bond lasted about 3 mo. The chickens were all still healthy and I never saw any mating.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say its a gander. Big head, big feet, thick legs.

4. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    If it's a gander it's a pilgrim not an Embden based on the gray in the wings. Young embden females commonly have a few gray feathers on them but not like that in their wings.

1 person likes this.
  5. nonsequitur

nonsequitur New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Good but shocking news Aduck is a girl :) and is in progress of laying her first clutch. I saw her making a nest and thought she might be making a nest for PekeBoo the duck who is almost the correct age for laying eggs. The next day I woke up to a larger than expected egg. Her first egg weighed in at 5.2 ounces.

Now to taste

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Muscovy's are seasonal layers. And usually only lay in late spring into the fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by