Embden Goose PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleLakesFarm, Aug 21, 2014.

1. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    I will try and make this as short as possible but I must explain so you can see the full picture. I have 10 or so runner ducks and a couple of Aylesbury ducks. 2 of my runner ducks hatched out a couple of months ago. We decided to get a couple of male geese to help protect against foxes. They were brothers who were raised with ducks and never harmed the ducks but were so boisterous, loud and obnoxious and we thought they would be great for protection against predators (namely foxes). A fox got my best duck despite having the 2 crazy ganders out there so we decided to build a run for all of them and give one of the ganders to a friend. Having the both of them was just too much crazy. After that, "Clarence" (our remaining Gander) became very sad and seemingly lonely. He really changed his personality completely. I felt really bad for him. He became very delusional and would look for his brother, his wing man, his best friend. So I thought it would be a good idea to get him a lady friend. She was only 3 months old when we got her and had been raised with ducks and was very placid. As she grew she started bullying my younger runner ducklings BADLY. So we kept them separated and gradually tried to re-introduce them. They had been fine together for a few weeks so we decided to keep them together in the run and they were all fine for a couple of weeks and then suddenly, today, "Ezmerelda" (the goose) beat up one of the younger runner ducks (who is nearly full grown now) so bad to the point she nearly killed her. The poor little girl duck has a swollen and cracked bill, blood all over her back and just looks awful. She is still bleeding. :( Makes me sick and sad. She can still walk but she is looking very rough so I let them out to have a swim to clean herself off and now the geese are in a separate run from the ducks. I am really hoping she is going to be okay :(. My question is, should I get rid of Ezmerelda the goose? I cannot be having her bullying my babies. I only got her so that Clarence wouldn't be lonely but he seems to be a bit of a loner anyway. He has always protected the ducks but not from Ezmerelda the bully! She even has an evil kind of look in her eye. Is she stressed from being couped up? It is really difficult to keep them separate all the time. It is a shame that they have to be couped up all through the summer days the way it is. Through the winter, they can roam around our closed in back yard freely but in the summer, the only way to protect them from the foxes is to keep them in runs. We always keep them in their warm house every night. I just don't know what to do. Will Clarence be okay in the springtime on his own without Ezmerelda? Will he get even more depressed if we get rid of Ezmerelda? Should we keep Ezmerelda? The breeder we got her from said that we could give her back and she would give us our money back. I am just so confused about what to do. Everyone gets along fine except for Ezmerelda. I can't trust her. I am afraid to get another goose to replace Ezmerelda for Clarence. Please help me if you have any experience with this or any ideas.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I can only say that from my own experience I purchased a fully grown Toulouse gander and six four week old goslings...all at the same time, I was assured that the gander would be an excellent guardian to the goslings...this was so true, Boss was amazing, he washed them and took them under his wing...they were all inseperable..

I have Runner ducks and Muscovy too and have never had a problem with the geese attacking them...they all live in harmony...maybe it would be better to look for a young gosling if your gander is lonely...Esmerelda would always be a future threat to your ducks now and you could never trust her alone with them..she would be happier elsewhere without competition from your ducks.

Hope your Runner recovers from her injuries!

3. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Thank you. We are going to give her back to where she came from and get a female gosling. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by