Embden or white Chinese? Which breed should I get?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AshleyFishy, Dec 11, 2013.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I'm wanting to add a trio of geese to my little critter family. Abilities I'm looking for are: alert me when someone comes in the driveway and weeding in the garden. Overall I would prefer if they wouldn't be just plain noisey or people aggressive.

My grandmother had white Chinese and her's were horrible...I don't know if that was just those or all of that breed. So it is still in the running, since I hear it is perfect for weeding.

I had been considering getting an outside dog... but honestly I wouldn't be able to give the dog all the attention it needs. So I'm hoping some geese would fit the bill.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I can't speak for Chinese since I don't have them but I do have Embden and he can be loud but he usually doesn't alert unless he hears the dogs bark, but I have heard the white Chinese are the ones that are the guard geese in the goose world.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've had White Chinese geese in the past and they were very loud and aggressive. Guineas make great alarm systems but they wouldn't do much for weeding.

4. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I had guineas before. ...horrific creatures. We finally had to just put them down.

5. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] You managed to catch them, then!!! Did you eat them? Apparently the meat is very good.

From what I can see, all geese will give the alarm...the little roman geese saved a city, after all! I have pilgrim/cotton patch-type geese, they make a noise if someone´s around that they don´t know, make a noise when it´s feed time, make a noise when one gets separated from another, and are doing a great job at keeping the grass down. They´re very placid, don´t attack anyone, just do the snake hissy thing with strangers getting too close, but the strangers don´t know that´s all they do and keep a distance. [​IMG] My geese are great.
    As for weeding the garden, any geese are likely to not just stick to the weeds, they´ll eat whatever appeals. The younger ones also like to do pruning. They don´t want to eat the plant, just prune it! We have a number of plants and small trees that have a nice top, but all the side-branches are hanging limp! [​IMG] Mine prefer the grass and leave me to pull the weeds!

6. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas

Oh yes! We didn't waste them. They were pretty good actually. Just picked them out of the trees one by one, with a .22, took a few nights. So honestly pretty easy to catch.

I had considered the roman geese as well. I just couldn't find any owner reviews on them.

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Romans are supposed to be nice litle geese, nice temperament. I don´t know any personally mind, only what I read, but I reckon pilgrims could be a good breed to go for if romans are a bit hard to come by. All depends what is most important to you....with me, it´s their beauty, temperament and ease of handling, I just love to pick up their goslings, they don´t mind, and as they grow bigger, they still come running and I can pick them up at any stage. They´re so placid. Not that other people know that, of course! [​IMG] It´s great.

[​IMG]

8. wolfram

wolfram Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    I have two white chinese and they are awesome Watch dogs. They usualy let the dogs know when someone is here. but they can be annoying because they try to talk to you the whole time your out side. Mine quiet down once we get out of site though.
    as for aggression, both both my geese are good. not overly friendly, but i can walk up to them and pet them or pick them up with no issue and only the male gets sassy with me.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful geese [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by