Embryo Death?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chiaseed, Apr 8, 2017.

1. chiaseed

chiaseed New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Hello, so 6 days ago my duck egg, which was on day 7 of incubation, started to show the spider veins:

[​IMG]

(terrible photo, but they were there!)

However six days later, on day 13 of incubation, I candled again and am having trouble seeing those same promising veins, in fact I now see three pale (thin shell?) spots, which are visible externally. I can still see the embryo but not really the veins and it all looks quite murky. Would anyone be able to kindly advise on whether this is embryo death? I had hoped to see more veins going up to the air sac but those are not there as far as I can tell. Thank you very much everyone x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also may I ask if there is a way to tell what I did wrong from these pictures? As I feel awful :( Thank you again in advance.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I'm not sure that it's dead. I seems to be developing unless I'm not seeing the pictures correctly, I'm viewing them on a cell phone.

3. chiaseed

chiaseed New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Thank you for your reply! I won't discard it, I was just worried it might explode, but hopefully if I candle again in a few days I'll see properly. I really really hope it is developing :) x

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

5. chiaseed

chiaseed New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Update, candled today to see black blobs, they are growing larger, one is shaped like a worm (not moving) and the other more of a non-descript shape, again not moving. Still the blackish grey spots on outside where shell seems to have thinned slightly(perhaps). I'd hate to give up but I also fear an explosion. There are no visible veins which I'm taking as a bad sign? :( Thank you for any advice everyone x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two black blobs do not appear to be linked by anything, only they are both in the yolk area. (where veins used to be :( )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by