Embryo development question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faverolling, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    So I'm seriously getting aggrivated with this hovabator. :I Earlier this month it went out for about six hours and I assumed the embryos were dead. I still left them in there and now I have two perfectly developing chickies. c: However, the other two I'm questioning. I candled the eggs today. It's day fifteen and as I said, two of them were almost completely dark, but the other two were about half dark. I thought that I had lost them, but I swear I saw one moving! So, I guess my question is if it's still possible for the two half dark eggs to be alive? Will they hatch later?

Btw, I'm now saving for a Mini Brinsea Advance. :p

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I would leave them if they don't stink, especially if the eggs are larger. I know how you feel with the hovabator - I also have a styrofoam incubator (an LG) and I hate it. Can't get a good hatch with it for anything. I made my own that works way better - I'm currently on track for a 100% hatch rate with shipped eggs - but I too am thinking of upgrading to a brinsea.

3. Faverolling

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    Ah, lucky. :) They don't stink at all. So, I'll just leave 'em and see what hatches.

This is only my second hatch. The first one was crazy. :I The heating element went wacky for a few days then too, and I ended up only having 2 out of 8 hatch.

Another advantage to the Mini is that it only hatches 7 at a time, so I can't overrun myself with chicks come spring. :p

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Oh, I'm awful. I can't restrain myself. I've been hatching since last February straight. If I get a brinsea it'll be the Octagon 20 at least. I may even make myself a small cabinet incubator this spring, because why not?

5. Faverolling

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    We should form an Incubators Anonymous support group. I fear that it may actually cause us to incubate more though. :p

Good news! Both eggs show development, but the one that was moving shows significantly more. I could just be mistaken as one is a silkie egg and one is a standard egg and it's a bit hard to compare their progress. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by