1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Embryo movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i was just wondering when you can start seeing the chick move inside the egg when you candle.

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I first noticed movement last night on mine, they are on day 7 . It was the first time I could see their little eyes good through the egg also.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I personally havent seen movement until day 16 but IM not an expert at candeling so maybe some more experienced people will find this.

4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I saw some of mine move at 5 days. I set them on Friday 1/9 late PM and checked them last night 1/14 ... But I have no Idea how much earlier you can see them.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I've seen little black dots floating around as early as 4 days.

6. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i was wondering this because i am new to this and i put some of my eggs (only 4 chicken eggs, test run) in on Jan 5 and i couldnt tell if they are fertile or not. I did notice that when i candle them there is veining in the egg. i saw a little bit of movement but i could not tell if that was from me moving the egg or if it was the chick moving.

7. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    yes probably was the baby chick moving, kinda looks like floating/swimming alittle. I always look for the eys to find them, they look like little black dot. Viens are good, after a while the whole egg will almost look solid and its harder to see movement.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

duck&chickencrazy :

i was wondering this because i am new to this and i put some of my eggs (only 4 chicken eggs, test run) in on Jan 5 and i couldnt tell if they are fertile or not. I did notice that when i candle them there is veining in the egg. i saw a little bit of movement but i could not tell if that was from me moving the egg or if it was the chick moving.

If you have veins they are fertile. [​IMG]

9. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    When we candled on day 6, five of the eighteen eggs had visible movement inside. By day 10, movement was visible in thirteen eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by