1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

embryo sticking to the top?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrypunk92, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I do not have egg turners, so I have the eggs point down in egg cartons with one side sitting on a 2x4. Well, Its day 4 and I was checking to see if I see veins or the heart.. cant really see much through dark eggs.. but snyway.. they look to be stuck to the top of the egg.. do I have a problem here?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Have you been turning the, by hand or just left them propped on one side on the 2x4? early on there isn't much to see and they don't fill much space either. The image below is day 6 of a peafowl egg.

[​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It should be okay like Flchickens said its still to early. I never had any luck using egg cartons. I lost a chick that popped on the side and I didn't see it, needless to say it died. Others though swear by it. I just let them roll.around. good luck with ur hatch.
    Michele

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that the chick, at least in the early stages, will always roll to the top of the egg. The theory is so the embryo can be closest to the hen's warm body. Maybe that's what happening?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I turn them 3 times a day. I move thee board to other side. And THE EGGS ARE TO DARK TO TELL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by