Embryo stuck to the side of the egg? What does it mean

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
Hi there. I'm attempting to hatch some chicken eggs currently and I have some questions. I just candled my 8 day old egg and it's looking like it should for that stage of development. Only issue, the veins and embryo in the center are not rotating/floating with the egg when I turn it, they seem stuck in one place. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be fluid and the embryo is supposed to move around. Does this mean the chick has died?

Hi there. I'm attempting to hatch some chicken eggs currently and I have some questions. I just candled my 8 day old egg and it's looking like it should for that stage of development. Only issue, the veins and embryo in the center are not rotating/floating with the egg when I turn it, they seem stuck in one place. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be fluid and the embryo is supposed to move around. Does this mean the chick has died?
They should not be rotating around at this stage and should be in the center. The chalaza tethers everything down to keep it from jostling about the egg.
Structure-of-egg-Sakurra-AdobeStock_191482799-800x667.jpeg

This doesnt sound odd-
Some say they shouldnt move at all- funnily enough with my duck eggs, the veins did move verryyyyy slowly as the egg turned. Keeping their form, but just moving along the side when the egg was turned over. Both hatched just fine.
You dont want the embryo sticking to the shell or being stuck, but you dont want the insides to seem super loose or fluidy either.

Can you post a photo of the egg being candled? It's usually quite clear to see when the embryo is stuck to the side of the shell. If it's being turned as it should, I doubt you have anything to worry about!

This doesnt sound odd-
Some say they shouldnt move at all- funnily enough with my duck eggs, the veins did move verryyyyy slowly as the egg turned. Keeping their form, but just moving along the side when the egg was turned over. Both hatched just fine.
You dont want the embryo sticking to the shell or being stuck, but you dont want the insides to seem super loose or fluidy either.

Can you post a photo of the egg being candled? It's usually quite clear to see when the embryo is stuck to the side of the shell. If it's being turned as it should, I doubt you have anything to worry about!
I can try to later. The embryo just seems to be quite close to the shell. I'm afraid he's stuck to it!

a photo will help to rule it out! Hopefully all is normal, the description does sound normal
This is the best I could do as far as photos go, you can't really see the web of veins in the photo, but you can see the embryo and his eye.

Attachments

• 20220721_190645.jpg
    20220721_190645.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220721_190631.jpg
    20220721_190631.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220721_190614.jpg
    20220721_190614.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 84
It's not stuck to the side of the shell.
The less you mess with that egg the better chance it has a hatching.

Back
Top Bottom