We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Embryo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tilena, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    This morning I was cracking eggs to cook for my parents when I found an embryo in one egg. It was a little disappointing because I go out in the morning and night to collect eggs and I don't now how that would of happened. As soon as I collect them I float them in water and scrub the with a soft sponge without soap. And let them dry, then I stick them right in the fridge.?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Many folks mistake a blood or meat spot for an embryo, when they in fact are not. Did you take a picture?
    https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/02/what-are-those-spots-in-my-farm-fresh-eggs.html

Eggs will last longer in the fridge if you don't float them in water and take the bloom off which is a natural protective coating. Water won't remove bacteria. I haven't washed eggs in years... if they are soiled, I wash them off and feed them to the animals. :)

Tilena likes this.
  3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Taxachusetts
    If you are collecting your eggs daily, you don't need to float them. If they are not dirty, you don't need to wash them. Wipe off any dirt with a damp cloth and put them in the fridge. If the eggs are fresh, you are not seeing an embryo. Probably a blood spot which is common.

4. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    The ones that are fresh and have no dirt on the I just put in the fridge. The ones that are dirty I try to wipe of with a damp cloth. And if that does not work that's when I go to the sponge.

5. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    I'll get a picture.

6. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    FYI it's not to pretty now that it's been in the sun. 15636374388916738760734158294854.jpg

7. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    It looked better when I first cracked it but I did not take a picture at that time and it had a egg yolk with it to.?

8. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    Yeah it's not a blood spot I've seen those before in many of our eggs.

9. NorthernMIFlock

NorthernMIFlock Songster

Jun 25, 2018
    Northern MI
    Oh man, definitely see the eye :/. Maybe that egg was hidden for a couple days while you were collecting?

10. Tilena

Tilena In the Brooder

May 30, 2018
    Graytown, OH
    It might have been. In a large homemade coop has 16 nesting boxes and third are a get Roosters with the hens. They are all silkies and Thurs is 20 total in there so it might of happened. And we have a few hens that are in there very broody and they are not even a year old yet.

NorthernMIFlock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: