1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Embryology Rescues :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barefootchicky, Apr 21, 2016.

1. barefootchicky

barefootchicky New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    My biology professor runs an embryology class and had a few eggs accidentally hatch. I had mentioned loving chickens so she asked if I wanted them. I picked the three chick up as day olds on Monday 4/18. They are yellow and from white eggs, my guess is that they are white leghorns. One is a little grubby and flighty, one is just a follower, but the third is super bold and friendly. I LOVE her.
    I am raising them until they are coop ready and then giving them to a friend with a hobby farm. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what they would have turned into, had they not hatched...

[​IMG]

If anyone has experience with this breed please advise. I'm really happy to have them. :weee

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    well as a breed they can be flighty that friendly one is probably a rooster, they are great producers or large white eggs. and treats shouldn't be given until they are 8 weeks old.

3. barefootchicky

barefootchicky New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope he's a she! Why no treats? Wouldn't they have access to whatever greens mom eats out in the world if they were following a hen around?

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    they would also have access to grit if with mom....if you want to give treats provide them with grit

5. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by