Embryos all on one side of egg..do I need to turn more?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by t411y, Mar 16, 2015.

1. t411y

t411y Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Hi this is my first post. Just looking for a bit of advice. I recently bought some shipped hatching eggs and it's now on day 5 of incubation (started on 11th). I wasn't sure that the incubator I have (Janoel 12) was turning the eggs properly/at all and so I've been doing it myself 3 times a day. When candling yesterday and today I've noticed that in all the eggs the embryos are on the same side (the 0 side) although the veins seem to be spreading everywhere if that makes sense.

Does this suggest they need turning more often (as I don't want them to get stuck to the shell)? If so, how often do I need to do it and am I right in thinking that I should be putting them X side down tonight?

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I have never hatched shipped eggs.. but when hatching my own duck eggs it does look like they are all on one side, when they are small, depending on which side they're laying on. That's rather normal. I too flipped them (x and o sides. :) ) 3 times a day. Have you candled them after they have been laying on the X side? (0 side up) Because if I'm figuring it right, then they should be all towards the X side. If you see what I mean, they should switch back and forth. The only thing to make sure, is that they are laying on the opposite side each night. (since that's the longest duration of time)

Hope that make some sense!

3. t411y

t411y Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    That's great thank you. I lay them on the X side down last night thinking that that would make them move but they're still all on the same side. I'm trying to remember whether they ever move that much around the egg because it would surely strain/break the veins? I'll keep turning them 3 times day and see if it improves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by