Emden geese coming this weekend.

DunnoWhatImDoin

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
Hi everyone, I just bought two Embden geese, I'm picking them up Saturday evening. There'll be a four foot fence and hedge around them, is that high enough to keep them in or will I need to clip their wings?

Is grass/foraging enough to keep them fed (it's a big enough area) or do I need to give them extra food?

Hi everyone, I just bought two Embden geese, I'm picking them up Saturday evening. There'll be a four foot fence and hedge around them, is that high enough to keep them in or will I need to clip their wings?

Is grass/foraging enough to keep them fed (it's a big enough area) or do I need to give them extra food?
@DunnoWhatImDoin a 4' fence with a hedge will be fine will they also have a secure building to get in to sleep and out of the weather? you might keep your geese in with that arrangement but it won't keep predators out.

Geese are grazers and love soft grasses but I would still off feed like an all flock. and because they will be in a new place they will be disoriented and may try and get away so hopefully you have a pen they can be in for at least a week till they get use to their new surrounding.My Embden gander has never flown but if he was in a new place he may try.

For now they'll just sleep in a barrel turned on its side, they have a small pen of 8m x 3m that they'll get shut into at night. It's only behind chicken wire so won't keep any predators out but there's stronger fencing all around the larger area to keep nasty things out.

Back
Top Bottom