Emden plus Canadian ?

SonyaCele

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
I have a happy female emden goose, she's about a year old. Well a canadian goose landed in our yard and is courting her. Is this ok ? Are they gonna bond up and have babies, or will he try and get her to fly away with him? I dont think she can fly because she's fat. Should i chase him away ? this is him

I have a happy female emden goose, she's about a year old. Well a canadian goose landed in our yard and is courting her. Is this ok ? Are they gonna bond up and have babies, or will he try and get her to fly away with him? I dont think she can fly because she's fat. Should i chase him away ? this is him

He just happened to fly over and saw a single maiden standing in your yard and it was love at first sight.
love.gif
I don't see a problem with it as long as you don't try to pen him up, since he is wild I think you can get in trouble if you try to keep him, but if he is passing through then so what.
wink.png
I think if they did mate and hatch the goslings would be sterile. you might enjoy this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645769/just-for-fun-hybrid-geese/20#post_10682590

Last edited:
I have a huge pond here, the size of a football field and the Canada geese pop by from time to time. They will eat with the geese, forrage with them, sleep apart from them. Never seen any copulation between them tho. I do have 2 pair of Canada geese that return every year to hatch out and raise their young. Looks like they won't interbreed, at least not from what I see.
By the same token the geese never bother each other as in fights or harming each others offspring. I would love to have them stick around longer but wild geese have that internal clock...fly south...

Back
Top Bottom