1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emerald Green Poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JacobsRewardFarm, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    I have a batch of red broilers I got from Ideal about 1.5 weeks ago. The day they arrived they were pooping bright green. That seemed odd to me. I've ordered from Ideal before and I sure don't remember that happening. The next day or so, the poop went to the normal color. What was that? Chicken meconium? Did they get vaccinated accidentally? Any clues?

Here's a picture... you can see the green poop on the paper towels in the background. Funny also, how the "red broilers" come in such a variety of colors as babies!

[​IMG]

Cindy T.
    Parker, TX

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perfectly normal for day old chicks. It will be gone in a day or two when it gets replaced with regular digested food poo. It's the remnants of the digested yolk.

3. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    The dark green color is from the hydration product that was given to the chicks during shipment. The product "oasis" is often given to the chicks during the summer months.
    Teri @ Ideal:)

4. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    Thanks, Teri - who'd a thunk it? While you're on the board, I was wondering, what is the cross used to make Red Broilers? I have 50, as I said, and they are coming out all colors from buff to dark brown/black. Just interested. They're doing great and are about 5 weeks old now, I think.

Cindy T.
    Parker, TX

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Some of them look like RIR to me. [​IMG] I know RIRs are dual purpose birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by