EMERCENCY MY COCKEREL IS NOT EATING OR DRINKING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kukree, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kukree

kukree Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    My cockerel hasnt really been feeling himself for the past few days. He has been doing the yawning gesture alot, even when its not very late in the day. He doesnt seem to have any energy in him. his ear lobes are going pale. he hasnt eaten much today, i think the last time he ate was in the morning and its dark here now. he seems to be making weird noises and hasnt crowed in a while. i dont know what the problem is. any response would be much appreciated. please tell me what to do. he is my only cockerel

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    He might have something stuck in his throat or crop. Give him an eyedropperful of olive oil to swallow. Then massage his throat downward to his crop. He will either puke or pass whatever is stuck.

3. kukree

Nov 1, 2012
    thanks a lot. Ive been adding olive oil to his feed a few times. I have massaged his throat, but haven't tried the two together. will do tommorow. I'll let u know of any improvements :)

4. kukree

Nov 1, 2012
    thanks a lot. I gave him some of that yesterday and he ate a little. also today I massaged his throat a little today every time he ate some
    food and he seemed to be getting a bit better. he hasn't passed what was causing the problem or he hasn't puked it. how many times can I use this treatment??

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can do it a couple more times, but after that you might consider that he could possibly have a respiratory problem, perhaps a fungal infection of some sort. In the meantime, visually inspect him for lice/mites, especially around the vent area.

6. kukree

Nov 1, 2012
    thank to so much

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When one of my peacocks was yawing a lot, I took him to the vet, she looked in his mouth and said that he had a bacterial throat infection. She gave us antibiotics and he recovered. But like Dawg53 said, it could also be a fungal infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by