Emercengy! Sick 4 year old hen with clear fluid coming out her mouth!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xxIsabellaxx, Dec 13, 2011.

1. xxIsabellaxx

xxIsabellaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Today my mom and i noticed that my 4 1/2 year old White rock hen, Wings was not acting like herself.

She had ecoli over the summer and hasn't really bounced back and today she was just standing by herself under a bush.
    She has lost a lot of weight and doesn't lay eggs, she is also having bright green poop.

My mom went to pick her up and she said clear , water like fluid came out her mouth.

Could this be pneumonia?

Please Help!

Isabella

PS:

It's almost winter here in MA and i was wondering should we have her put to sleep?

We also have her seperated from my other chickens

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Just curious? Does her crop feel full and squishy like a water balloon? Might be sour crop and when you picked her up it pushed some out of her beak.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    One of the ways e.coli manifests itself is airsaculitis-fluid and blockage in their airsacs. Airsacs to birds are what lungs are to us.
    I had a bout of e.coli with some younger birds 3 months ago. The effects can be lingering. You might think the bird is over the secondary problems that e. coli causes but oftentimes they just don't make it over the hump. Or they catch a virus later and the e. coli takes hold again and wipes them out. You might try Tylan 50 injections (1/2 cc a day in her breast muscle). But normally by the time a bird is showing signs like you describe it's too late.

4. xxIsabellaxx

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, she did have ecoli back in July.

But my mom just moved her to a big cage and said she had a seizure type thing and she laying flat on her chest with her wings out and she is very weak. [​IMG]

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I'm sorry. It does sound like she's dying. That's how they act when they're dying. Just talk to her, it probably won't be long til she passes on her own.

6. xxIsabellaxx

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I'm sorry. It does sound like she's dying. That's how they act when they're dying. Just talk to her, it probably won't be long til she passes on her own.

Yeah she died a fewminutes after the seizure thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by