EMEREGENCY very sick bantam nankin hen

Crystalchic

Gone for a bit
11 Years
May 6, 2008
My nankin hen is one year old. This morning she was acting like she was yawning a lot so I gave her liquamycin LA200. Several hours later I gave her some yogurt with live active culture. Now she is really struggling to breath. She is making noises when she breathes. Is there anything else that I can do for her. She is separated from my flock, and should I worry about my other chickens they are all in the same area but in separate pens

Crystal,
it could be a number of things from an obstruction in the throat, to a heart problem, to pneumonia, etc etc. it sounds like you are doing all you can for her. maybe someone will come along who will have a better idea of whats going on than I.
best,
Beefy

I would keep her warm - heating pad on low under 1/2 her space. Ideally she can be inside. Sounds a bit like pneumonia or some other respiratory distress, especially since she's been yawning for awhile. That's generally a sign of trying to get air into the lungs. I'm not familiar with the medication you gave her, but I certainly would be sure she got tje right antibiotic. Hopefully someone else has a suggestion. Good luck.

thank you so much, ML she died last night. I am going to try and post the video of her. I just dont know how to post pictures and videos. I am leaning towards a gape worm. My pens are just so clean and my chickens live a great life. They are used to human contact, they run towards us when we approach the pen. I only have one rooster out of 15 that's a butt head. I am just devastated over my little nankin. So many of you in chat yesterday was trying to help me, help my hen. It's unfair for me to mention names because I may leave someone out. But I thank each and everyone of you. Besides my mediate family all of you are the only ones in my life that understand my love for my animals, especially my chickens. My chickens have changed my life, and so did a lot of you in byc. I may throw in the towel and not keep my birds. The work is hard, but worth it. My neighbors dog keeps tearing through my coops killing several of my chickens, causing me to have to constantly make my coops stronger. He acts like its nothing. I am so overwhelmed with grief.

I'm sorry to hear your hen didn't make it. Gapeworm is actually pretty rare and sounds more like a respiratory issue. How did you give the antibiotics (LA200) and how much? This is a beef/swine injectible.

hugs.gif

what are the odds that this hen succumbed to pneumonia? what are symptoms of pneumonia in chickens?

also--Crystalchic--when was the hen last wormed and with what?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom