EMERGANCY!!!! 7 1/2 week old silkies trying to incorperate w/a JG Roo

NewMommy123

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Grapeview,WA
Help!!! I have got to get these chicks out of the garage before we get kicked out!! My JG rooster already hurt a boy chick and I am afraid for my other two purebred Silkies. The hens arn't sure what to do with them. How would I get a hen to adopt them? My hens are only 4-5 months old. I am scared!! I am only 12 and don't know what to do.
hit.gif

How old are the chicks? How long have you had them?
Do you have a temporary place to put them (like a box or container)?
Don't try to introduce them to the rest of the chickens. The hens are too young to adopt them, and any more interaction will just result in more confusion.

I'll cover as many bases as I can think of, since I don't know exactly what your setup is.
First, get a box and a warm lamp. Put a blanket in the box, shine the lamp into it, and put the chicks in the box. That will keep them warm and safe for the time being (just make sure they can't get out of the box!) Next, look around your coop and pick out a corner that you can section off from the rest of the coop. Section the corner off with anything that you know will keep the other chickens out (including a roof). You can probably use baby gates and/or chicken wire. If nothing is readily available, just barracade the corner with whatever you can find. Put the box in the sectioned off area. If you have a heat lamp, set it up above the box; make sure nothing is touching it. If you can't use a heat lamp, get a hot water bottle, hand warmers, or anything else that generates heat over a long period of time. Put it in the box and cover it so that the chicks can't get to it, but they can still feel the heat.

If this won't work, then at least get the chicks to a safe, warm place. Then, post on here what isn't working. It'll be OK!

ETA: Sorry, just looked at your title line more closely. At 71/2 weeks old, they still need to be separated, but they don't need as much heat. They can keep each other warm.

Last edited:
It will be difficult if not impossible to integrate much smaller silkies into an established Jersey Giant flock. It appears that the rooster has already shown aggression towards strange chickens. Is there any possibility of setting up a second pen for the silkies? Silkies and Polish because of their crests are frequently picked on by other chickens- especially standards.

Quote:
I have heard people say they had no problem integrating them, but it didnt work for me. My silkie and silkie cross (and bantam brahma) were picked on relentlessly. One day the big girls plucked all the tail feather off my silkie and brahma, severe bleeding to the brahma. And i did everything by the book for intergrating. Let them see each other for a few weeks before putting them in. (my big girls found a new home).

Oh and i was scared to death of what would happen if my rooster mounted my little silkie!

I do hope it goes better for you!!!
smile.png

Thank you for all of the replys. I put the two that arn't injured in a tub in the chicken house until the big ones are better associated with them and until the chicks are bigger. It looks like I will have to get rid of my JG rooster, he is picking on my Polish rooster and on a couple of my hens. Does anyone know what the symptomes of neurological Marek's is? Is it contagious?

Back
Top Bottom