1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EMERGANCY --- Punctured crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyinRed, Nov 9, 2011.

1. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Silkie chicken, One year of age,
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? N/A I assume only over night.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Puncture at crop, small amount of what looks like wet chicken feed dried on feathers under hole. Crop is full.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Possible predator attack
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. N/A But crop is full feeling. I assume she has been eating
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. N/A at this time
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Placed hen in a dark quiet part of the house
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Preferably treating myself. If surgical correcting is required I may be able to acquire Lidocaine to numb the area.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will try to aquire one
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings in a bucket. The hen currently has not moved for about 45 minutes.

Walked into the coop and she was not moving so I picked her up, noticed the glued down look of feathers on her, checked, and there is a tiny hole just at the crop. I brought her in to seperate her from the others. I am not squeemish and have already been considering useing tissue glue to surgically seal the crop and then to seal the skin.

I do need LOTS of advice. I have never done this before on a chicken.

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I have never Done this Before Either, But I Go with my Chicken senses;

get Some Blu Kote for it, and A Bandage.

See if she Can Swallow, if she Can: Feed And Water her. If she can't : [​IMG]

3. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    Well the hen is still hanging in there, going to try to get her to eat and drink a little. i don't think much food or water is being emptied into the cavity between the crop and skin so I may not need surgery, she still is acting like she feels pretty awful though so I think I will try giving her some apple cider vinigar with her water.

4. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    She drank water but was not interested in food much. Will try again with cooked egg yolk.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

If it is a fesh injury you can clean the area real well and then glue. If it's a old injury don't glue! I hope she starts feeling better soon.

6. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    Well I went with my instincts since every time I forced her to drink I heard gurgleing from the hole. I opened her about noonish up and sure enough there was a huge hole in her crop. MUCH bigger than the wound in the skin which looked like a ballpoint pen stabbed her.

I went with surgery on the crop as if I were treating an impacted crop and closed it back up. She seems much more interested in water now after having had her crop closed back up. She's now a house hen untill she is fully healed, that is if she makes it. I am hopeful though as she seems to be alot more perky.

But. I suppose if someone tried to do surgery on me while I was awake I would make myself be perky when ever someone came in the room too!!!

7. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm glad to hear she sounds better. Have you seen the photos of the crop surgery here on the website? They're graphic, but I believe that hen healed just fine. I hope yours does too!

8. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:Yes I did, that is what I went by to help me with her surgery since I have no prior experience sewing up chicken wounds!! Though I will say silkies are compleetly different looking with that black skin of theirs.

9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I have not been on line for a long time and just found you are haveing a hard time. I have never have done anything like this before so I wouldn't have been much help but to hold your hand. I hope she gets better soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by