Emergancy Rooster Hert Bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chadr7850, Nov 26, 2011.

1. chadr7850

chadr7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    My Mille fleur rooster got hurt ether from are silkie rooster [​IMG] or something else. [​IMG] He flips over on his back some times and can't get back up. He also walk to the left unbalanced. It looks like he dosnt use his left wing ether. When he walks slightly to the left. What do we do to fix this. Any ideas what this is or what to do.

2. lewishe

lewishe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Can you post a pic? Are you certain he got hurt or has he been acting off recently. Some illnesses have these symptoms as well. More information please.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Unless you're positive he's been hurt, it sounds like he's sick instead.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like a possible stroke [​IMG]

5. chadr7850

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm pretty sure he is hurt he just started doing it a couple of days ago. He is only 5 months old. I have seen the 2 roosters get in little tiffs with each other.what illness could it just hit it wasn't like a slow ketch on it was right away I could post pics but it's already dark

6. chadr7850

Mar 22, 2011
    Just to add he dosnt socialize with the rest like he use too he stays by himself.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I think he sound sick, I was just looking on you tube and they have some chickens that are displaying the same symtoms. [​IMG]

8. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Is he vaccinated for Marek's? Mareks causes partial paralysis and can cause them to be unbalanced. It cases tumor formation in muscle tissue, nervous tissue and visceral organs. It can come up seemingly out of nowhere. Usually, the first signs are stumbling or limping (sometimes falling back on their butts) or a droopy wing. More advanced signs can be clouded eyes (from tumor formation in the iris), labored breathing and inability to walk or stand. There is no treatment or cure for the disease. The only defense is vaccination as day old chicks which does not stop them from contracting the virus but prevents formation of tumors (which are what end up killing the birds). I am hoping that you will say he is vaccinated..... but if not and you lose him, I would send him into your state vet for a necropsy. Depending on the state you might get it done for free. Good luck!!

9. chadr7850

Mar 22, 2011
    I got him from murdochs I never vacsanated him I dont know if purina does.is the disese contagius could it spread to the other 4 in there with him. Thanks he still is being off balance and wierd this morning

10. chadr7850

Mar 22, 2011
    He is also at a high alltitude 9000 feet or more we are in colorado. I dont see any of the other chickens acting wiered I can look up some videos on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by