EMERGECY - egg in membrane hanging out

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
I just discovered one of my BOs with an egg in a membrane hanging completely out of her vent. I tried to get it loose but it hurts her when I touch it. I'm afraid to force it. Don't see any kind of opening where the egg can come out. I'm new to chickens and frantic to help her. What should I do?

Not sure I made it clear that the membrane is hanging out of her vent and the egg is far enough out that I can hold the membrane behind the egg. I tried gently squeezing behind the egg hoping there was an opening for it to come out but it didn't work and it hurt her. This is a terrible thing to happen on Christmas day - vet's office closed and I can't reach anyone locally who might be able to advise me.

Without a picture it is hard to imagine what you are trying to describe. Have you tried bathing her vent with warm water to soften the membrane etc, and then using a lubricated finger (vaseline or cooking oil) to try and help it out?

As KayTee said, a picture would be great so that we can make sure how to help you. I have read about egg binding occurring with an egg trapped under the skin. Some have been able to give a warm shallow bath in a sink, and with lubricant try to massage the egg out. Others have eventually had to cut the tissue to get the egg out. There is another condition called a prolapsed vent or cloaca, where the internal tissue of the vent pops out, and some of those hens can have a stuck egg at the same time. It may be painful for her, but you may need to go ahead and try getting it out. Egg binding can be caused by a lack of calcium or dehydration, so give her some calcium (a Tums or calcium tablet, or some crushed egg shells or oyster shell to eat.) Here is a link to read about this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816429/egg-hanging-outside-vent

Last edited:
I'm trying to send a pic but keep getting a message saying I don't have pemission to create attachments. Will keep trying but doubt it's going to work. I know this is a prolapsed vent and know what to do about that but can't deal with the prolapse because of the egg hanging out.

The first picture here below is from the link in post #4 above, of the egg hanging out of the prolapse. The second picture is of a typical prolapse. I would take a rubber glove with lubricant, and search for the vent opening to try and get the egg out. Honey or Preparation H ointment can be used to reduce swelling the prolapse.

LL
vent+a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a good-news update - Maggie is doing terrific and is grateful for all your help. I wasn't able to help her, tried and tried using your suggestions but ended up hurting her more, or so it seemed. So, sat on the couch wrapped up in a throw with her all night. I kept a warm, moist towel on the prolapse hoping to keep it from drying out and make her more comfortable. I didn't know chickens could cry but she did, all night. It was horrible. I wasn't able to reach the vet Thursday but, when I called first thing Friday, he had me bring her in. He was not happy because he has an answering service who wasn't answering his emergency calls on Christmas Day - he would have come to the office for her. Maggie had surgery to remove the egg and snip the dead tissue - actually, she had tried to lay another egg Friday morning so there were two. She is now proudly sporting two big stitches, eating, drinking, taking her antibiotic like a trooper and talking up a storm. I have to go out of town tomorrow for a bit of minor surgery so she's staying with her Uncle Bill until Tuesday afternoon. Of course, my Christmas Day dinner was cancelled but my family all know my chicks are my very spoiled grandkids so they understood and kept calling asking about her. I am so very, very happy Maggie is on the road back to good health.

A special thanks to KayTee for your willingness to post my emailed picture on BYC but I wasn't able to send attachments by email either. My modum was on the way out and finally just died so I was without the internet from Thursday morning until this afternoon. And thanks for all the other suggestions. I did try to call UM School of Vet Med Friday morning but they didn't answer their phone. As it turned out, my vet had dealt with a similar prolapse before so got right on the problem and fixed her up.

Happy New Year to all.

Follow-up to above post. I feed my chicks Purina Layena Plus and they have oyster shell available at all times. What more can I do so this doesn't happen again - if the cause was poor nutrition or lack of calcium?

Back
Top Bottom