emergencies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady8, Dec 7, 2011.

1. chickenlady8

chickenlady8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    I am fairly new to raising chickens and had a disaster! I had 3 hens that were 8 months old. One of them had been laying 5 eggs a week since she was 6 months old. They were in a totally enclosed chicken coop (wood on one end, top and sides, and chicken wire with a chain-link gate on the other side. Something got in a few nights ago and took one of the chickens leaving only a few feathers, leaving one chicken alone, and the third with a bleeding neck. I began tending the bleeding one by using an antiseptic first-aid powder. The predator (I'm thinking bob-cat) came and left through a very small space where he or she pulled the chain-link from a corner of the gate - no more than 4 inches in diameter. I fixed the gate and hoped for the best, then during the night it came again. It again pulled the chain link away from the poles but in a new spot. This time it took the remaining healthy chicken and left my poor invalid one alone. Again no carcass.
    I have brought the sick one inside and have her in a dog crate. She will drink if the water is brought to her and only nibbles at her food. I'm boiling an egg as we speak because I read where hard-boiled egg is good. She doesn't stand well and doesn't really move so for the past few days have been lifting her and taking her to the water and food and holding her until she drinks or nibbles. She will churtle a little now and then and has bright eyes.
    Her neck is totally exposed and there appears to be a deep hole on one side, but the bleeding stopped pretty much right away when I first treated her. Any ideas?

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:First you will need more chickens.... second, you will need to address the predator issue, whether by fortifying the coop or grabbing a rifle and waiting for the sucker to appear..... My girls go in a coop that has a door, which is locked every night.... Never lost any IN the coop... free ranging, well that is another issue....

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Pack the hole with Neosporin. That, or spray it well with blue kote (which has an antiseptic in it). Keep feeding/watering every few hours. Keep her in a warm, quiet place. She's probably in a bit of shock.

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Chickens heal surprisingly fast even from a large wound. I think your doing everything you need to do for now. I would keep an eye on her for infection though.

5. chickenlady8

Dec 7, 2011
    My chicken is still hanging in there! She has gone from sugar-water and vegetable soup to eating regular mash in the last week. She still eats very little but is hydrated and beginning to cluck a little now and then. I have her in the living room in a large dog crate. She does not stand however and this has me worried about her prognosis. She seems to be unable to put weight on her left leg and her right wing goes askew if I help her to a standing position. Anyone know of a chicken who has ever recovered from these types of injuries?? I have to wash her bum off every day which she tolerates and give her clean towels to nest in daily.[​IMG]

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    If her legs is broken I think I read it takes around 2 weeks to heal. Keep her comfortable and warm. Does the leg have any signs like it maybe broken if not maybe cracked and yes they can recover from cracked bones. If you want more info on this just use the search box and there are tons of other posts.

7. chickenlady8

Dec 7, 2011
    Thank you all...I'm trying to learn how to navigate this site!

8. little gem

little gem New Egg

Dec 16, 2011
    My sweet Orpington, Marilyn, was attacked by a predator. I believe it was a cat. She was literally skinned. A 3x3 flap hanging down. The flap was a thick layer of fat and skin. It was amazing that she was able to go back to her coop and get up on her perch! When I found her I isolated her in the bathroom where she could be warm. I gave her electrolytes in her water and gave her feed. The first night I flooded her wound with betadyne. Then I was able to buy Vetrisine at the local feedstore which I spray on her skin 3-4 times a day. A week later Marilyn is still eating, pooping and drinking water. I think she will make it. I now am spraying her 2 times a day and she only got the electolytes the first 24 hours. Our next challenge will be to introduce her back to her sisters.
    This is what I learned in this mis-adventure:
    Have an emergency kit already on hand and a place for recovery already planned these things happen when it is not convenient.
    Do not use peroxide it damages skin!
    Don't forget the grit, she is a free range-er and when caged I had to begin to give her grit with her food.
    Don't put anything that is not sterile like vasoline on wound, use neosporin.
    If I had chosen to sew her up she would have needed anti-biotics. Anti-biotics change the game when we are eating the eggs so do your research diligently before deciding on whether you want to use them.
    Last Marilyn almost tore through the bathroom door fighting with herself in the mirror-not a good attitude for calm recovery. The mirror is covered now.
    She is my new hero, I can't imagine having an injury like that and being such a good girl. They are amazing creatures. I thought we would be putting her down the next day!

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens are amazing little creatures. Tough as an old boot. Glad to hear Marilyn is on the mend.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by