EMERGENCY: 5 month old hen is lethargic, warm, calm! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tigerangel2, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tigerangel2

tigerangel2 New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    This is my first flock. I have 4 hens and 1 duck (that we just discovered is a drake not a hen). They are almost 5 months old. They all sleep in their coop at night and have free run of the fenced backyard when we are home. We live right on a river, so the yard is more "forest" than grass.

My mother woke up before me this morning and let the poultry out. My cochin, Bianca, was still up on the roosting bench. However, she ultimately did come down on her own and exited the coop. Then, she went to the side of the yard and laid down in the dirt against the fence. My mother called to me and said that Bianca was acting strange and to come see. In the time it took for me to get up, she had gone over and picked the chicken up and brought her to the porch. This, in of itself, is strange because usually Bianca does not allow you to randomly pick her up.

When I took her in my arms, she was (obviously) very lethargic and her wattle was warm. Also, she was keeping her eyes closed. The rest of her body felt warm as well. I checked her vent and it doesn't have any sort of residue on it. Bianca (no any of the others) has laid an egg yet. I feed them a high protein food plus whatever they scrounge. I occassionally throw out crushed eggshell which they all pick at.

I do not know about her poop as they all roost in the same space and then run free. She was acting fine yesterday. Right now, she is sitting in my rocking chair by herself, hasn't moved. She does open her eyes and lift her head if you come around the back of the chair, but then she goes back to sleeping.

I am worried she is having trouble laying her first egg, perhaps? She has a little bit of leftover food in her crop from yesterday; it is not hard nor full. She is just lying there, fluffed up, looking tired. However, when she does open her eyes, they seem clear.

Please please help as we have to leave for work very soon. I am going to keep her in a crate today while we are gone so she is safe from the other chickens and duck.

Please help ASAP. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Sorry about Bianca, and I'm not sure how to help. Giving you a bump. Can you get her to drink?

3. tigerangel2

tigerangel2 New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Also, her wattle is normal color. Her comb looks a little light, but it could also just be that it is dry. There is no yellow except it seems that the her eyelids are a little yellow. Her skin under the feathers is a very light peach rose color.

4. tigerangel2

tigerangel2 New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    She will not eat or drink right now (but was last night). We tried offering her some of the minced beans that I had for them this morning and she wasn't even interested.

5. tigerangel2

tigerangel2 New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Ok, I just gave her about 5 cc of water. I opened her beak and put a few drops in the bottom of her mouth and she would swallow. I can't believe she put up no fuss when I opened her beak with my finger.

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    sugar awater or scrambled eggs maybe? Good luck!

7. tigerangel2

tigerangel2 New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I was thinking some yogurt with honey and ground feed?

8. batonrougechickens

batonrougechickens New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I'm new. I googled and found this forum. My Lil' T sounds just the same except she pooped once and it was clear water with some grass. I'm like you. I feed a high protein feed and let my 4 chickens roam the yard. When I went out this morning she just sat there. I put her in the coop and she came out, but just sat. I have her inside now in a dog kennel. I gave her some cooked rice (her favorite) but she wasn't interested.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    When I had a hen present like this, blood work results were conistent with significant infection and/or inflammation. She had declined so rapidly with whatever it was that hit her (seemingly fine in the a.m., down by p.m.). With antibiotic treatment she recovered and is the picture of radiant health today, almost 2 years later. Honestly I doubt she would have survived without the meds (vet also tube fed her).

That said, symptoms like this are present with many different things so it's hard to say what is wrong with your hen. I think it's safe to say she really needs help. Fluffed up means "I feel sick". A dumb (irresponsible, really) feed store many years ago when I first had chickens told me fluffing up was a normal healthy way to keep warm and not indicative of illness. I lost a rooster because I believed them and did not act quickly enough on his behalf.

At minimum I would make sure she stays hydrated and give her 3 drops liquid Polyvisol children's vitamins (without added iron) daily, administered gently along her beak line with dropper, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. These things are by no means cures but are an attempt to slow her decline until you sort out what is wrong and how to fix. From your descrip, time may well be of the essence here.

Basic staple for hens is that they should have oyster shell available at all times as they will self select the amount fo calcium they need.

JJ

10. batonrougechickens

batonrougechickens New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks. She didn't seem sick until 12:00. My vet closes on sat. at noon. Hopefully she'll hang on until Monday, but it looks doubtful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by