Emergency about Injections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    OMG My father in law has just injected my chickens with 0.3mm Tylon 200 and one of my chickens died in 5 minutes! chickens are showing signs of respatary inf and have all been to vet who gave me the tylon and dosage, has she just had an reaction or was she too young? she is a silkie/Sussex 12 weeks old, he gave it in the left side breast... We have to do the right side in 2 days but im too worried! what do you think???

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    What are you worried about? I doubt the injection was done incorrectly since he had already done it twice to the bird. The dosage was correct if it came from the vet (if you are worried about the dosage then you should re-check the info with the vet). Injection sites need to be rotated to prevent muscular damage from the medication. Everything seems to be absolutely normal, aside from the bird dying.

The bird could have developed an allergy to the medication and died of anaphylaxis. It happens in birds just like it happens in humans. There is nothing you could have done differently. The only way to have prevented that outcome is by not using the medication on that bird. I would definitely double check the dosage with the vet, but other than that I don't see how you could have predicted this would happen.

Sorry for your loss. I hope the rest of the flock improves. Good luck.

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thank you, they have only had one injection each today not two, we have to miss a day then do the second injection... All the other chickens seen fine so hopefully she has just had an reaction. ive been back intouch with the vet who assures me that is the right dosage.. 0.5mls for large chickens and 0.3mls for bantoms of Tylon 200... My father in law is beating himself up about it so ill let him know he did everything right... I got told i have to inject the opposite side on thursday..,. Thanks again.x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by