Emergency advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woolymammoth, Jan 8, 2015.

1. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    Tonight is day 19. I have 2 eggs that have a pip. One of them is below the air sack. This is too early, right? Both are through the membrane and the membrane is white and one of them is below the air sack. . Just a concerned dad that is new to all of this. Or is it all natural or is there something I need to do

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Nope. They are fine. The air sac is probably actually a little bigger than you think if you are going by your last mark at lockdown. Day 19 is fine. My last hatch most of them pipped at 19, though none zipped until 20. Just remember after they pip it can take up to 24 hours (possibily more, but usually within) before they actually zip and push themselves out and it is a wild and stressful ride, so grab a coffee, or your preferred drink and sit back and relax...lol Congrats on the experience!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  3. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks. I looked and saw then one shook and just a little after that I heard one chirping. I want to stay up all night and watch.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. That's natural, though if they have just pipped, you most likely won't be watching much except little beaks peeking out to get some fresh air. Make sure you keep us posted on the progress and when they hatch. How many do you have in the bator and what kind?

5. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    I have 38 that made it this far out of 41. At lockdown all 38 still showed promise to be viable. They will be mutts. Roos and hens - BO, RIR, Doms, BR. And I have a buff banty rooster and 2 silver duckwing banty Roos. So there is no telling what I will come out with.

6. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    That's the one that piped well below the air sack as you can tell from my pencil marks.

8. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    Here is the other

10. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    Now to get ahead of myself. Do I clear shells as they hatch and when is the absolute day to call it quits on an eggs that has not piped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by