EMERGENCY ADVICE NEEDED-- Duck lost her Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 5Chances, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 5Chances

5Chances Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Hello- we had a tragedy strike us overnight. Somehow my ducks pen door came open at some point over night and we lost our sweet drake (Fred) to a coyote. Fred was a like a little dog. We only have the two. Fred & Ethel. I'm a so worried about Ethel grieving/stressing herself looking for him. I have her locked up right now in her coop but I'm afraid if I let her out she will go crazy searching for him. She was stress quacking trying to call him this morning.... we have chickens & though they never hung out together I wondered if I try to put her with them in their coop if she will feel better? However we have a mean rooster. He never bothered my ducks because he was afraid of Fred but now that he's gone I'm concerned he might get after Ethel??? Going to put them together and sit with them. Our feed store will have ducklings in 3 weeks. I am going to get her some babies but ANY advice to help her over these next 3 weeks is appreciated. My family is so sad. Fred was a GREAT little guy... this is he and Ethel greeting me at my car door!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That's really sad......You could also try putting one docile Chicken in your Duck pen and see if that works?.......She will look for him no matter what you do. It will probably take her a few days to relax....A non breakable mirror in her pen will help with the loneliness ......

Sorry that happened......

Cheers!

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    When something was picking off my chickens, I had the 5 ducks and 1 chicken left. She hung out with them when she wanted. Ducks weren't thrilled about it, but let her hang out with them.

Look online and at your feed store for postings of adult ducks for sale. Starting with ducklings, you are still going to have to wait a while before you can put them with her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by