emergency ahh please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken007, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Chicken007

Chicken007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    ok so i put 4 eggs in my incubator to see if they were fertile turns out two of them were so i kept them and added 6 more the next week. I set them on tuesday and its now sunday and while candiling the eggs i noticed a chip and yeah thats right one of the eggs has started to hatch thats great you might say but firstly i have 6 more eggs in the incubator is the humidity going to affect them and also i dont have any chick crumbs and i can only get them tommorow evening what shall i do im in a right mess :(

2. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Im new at hatching but i dont THINK it would affect them. Only if the humidity went down they might get stuck to the the shell and you dont want that! Chicks dont have to eat for the first 48 hours so they're fine. Hope this helps and Im sorry if im wrong. Im new so im still learning.

3. Chicken007

Mar 7, 2011
    thansk for the reply because i lifted the incubator when it was piping might it be shrink wrapped?

4. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    How long has it been pipping?

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Just sit on your hands now and don't open the incubator. Just watch and see what happens. If it was only a small pip you saw it should be ok to hatch on it's own. You can leave chicks in the incubator for up to 48hours once they have hatched so you will be ok to get chick starter tomorrow, What is your temp and humidity at? First time or novice hatchers are better off to not start with a staggered hatch. You are better off to start with all eggs due the one day. Not much you can do now but sit back and wait to see how it all turns out. If you can tell the two you put in first once they are hatched and fully dried. You can go into your bathroom and turn the shower on til it's steamy. Quickly open the incubator and take out them out. Then close the incubator and leave it be til the others are due to hatch. So how far along are the other eggs?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. Chicken007

Mar 7, 2011
    this is my second time hatch. so i turned the eggs this evening but if the chick hasnt hatched by the morning shall i still turn the eggs. the other 6 eggs are due a week on tuesday

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    No, if you have a pip already do not open the incubator now til it hatches.

8. Chicken007

Mar 7, 2011
    but will that effect thoose eggs or not will one day matter?

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    It should not effect those eggs. Your main concern now has to be for the one that is pipping. Opening the incubator can cause it to be shrink wrapped or worse. Worry about the one pipping for now and you will just have to leave the others be until after it hatches. From posts i have read here and the way i do a staggered hatch is to have one incubator for all the eggs. Take out the ones on 18 day that are due to hatch soon and move them to a second incubator for hatching. That way you are not effecting the other eggs that still need to be turned etc if you don't have a turner.Have you turned up your humidity on the incubator to make sure this one hatches ok. I have mine at 65% for hatching. You can always turn it back down later for the other ones that aren't due to hatch yet.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. Chicken007

Mar 7, 2011
    yess its around 60%-65%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by