Emergency!!!!! Almost dead in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrMayo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MrMayo

MrMayo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    I came home today to find young hen in nest box lathargic and cold. She's go an ooz at her vent and just isn't responding to anything. She's cool to the touch but barely hanging in there

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that she's egg bound. It's a reach, and probably too late, but you might try taking her inside and giving her a very warm bath with Epsom salt in the water. This will bring her core temp up. Feel around her vent to see if you can feel a bulge which would be an egg. If so, perhaps you can massage above the egg, and help her to work it out. As she's cold and not responding, I'm guessing she's in shock and her body is shutting down, so it's a long shot. If the bath is successful, and you are able to help her pass an egg, you'll have to dry her off, (a lot of people use a hair dryer) and keep her inside for the night. If you can get liquids into her, electrolytes would be best, you can do a google search on how to make some, or pick up a jug of pedialyte in a pinch. Good luck. Don't own any guilt trips if she does not live. BTW, I have never personally dealt with this problem, just read responses from folks who have.

3. MrMayo

Apr 14, 2013
    She's been in Epsom salt bath for an hour. I got some water in her. I don't feel anything hard like an egg so it may be further up.

4. MrMayo

Apr 14, 2013
    I hope she makes it

5. MrMayo

Apr 14, 2013
    No luck. 2 hours and nothing. I have her some water by tube to get some fluid in her got her dried and in the kennel.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    So sorry.

7. MrMayo

Apr 14, 2013
    After further investigating I found egg in nest box I think is hers. I never felt egg. Soaked for two hous and then dried her. Mixed apple cider vinager with water and medicine dropped it in her mouth. She's coming back to. Have her in kennel in the house. Just heard her flapping around!!!!! She's fighting now givin everything she has to survive so we shall see in the morning

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Well????

1 person likes this.
  9. MrMayo

Apr 14, 2013
    No go. She died in my lap around 11:30pm

10. lazy gardener