Emergency (animal attack) injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wolfefarmyard, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    6B01934E-26FB-4573-8D51-56B22B7E67C2.jpeg E6F6888E-B78A-49EF-8B6D-3504CFC60E78.jpeg Hello everyone,
    I’m freaking out right now but I’m doing my best to stay calm. I just went out to lock up my flock, and to my horror, I saw one of my favorite hens sprawled out with feathers littered everywhere. I thought she was dead but her head moved. I immediately rushed her inside and wrapped her up. It appears that she has a back wound that’s fairly deep and a very bad neck wound, which is what I’m most concerned about. It appears as though her skin was just peeled back all around her neck. Her tendons are even visible. I think that a hawk may be the culprit but what I’m currently most worried about how to treat her. Once she’s warmed up I’m going to rinse her off and get a better look at her injuries. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I’ve attached a few pictures

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    Looks like skunk damage.
    Antibiotic spray or vetericyn will help.
    I'm not much use here, sorry. I've been here with dog, hole on side of neck.
    We used blukote and cage rest for a week and she healed just fine.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry about your chicken’s attack and severe wounds. Keep her quiet and warm in a quiet and dim spot in your house. Saline can be used to flush wounds, and I would warm it a little to body temperature first. Vetericyn is good to clean wounds, and plain Neosporin ointment can be good to keep wounds clean and from drying out. Do you here any gurgling or air movement out of the neck or back wounds? Those wounds are close to air sacs which might possibly be punctured.

Hopefully, she will feel better in a few hours and might be able to swallow sips of water or peck at some chicken feed, which can be made wet with water. Here is a good recipe for homemade saline if you scroll down the page, or you can buy it at a pharmacy or first aid aisle:
    https://intermountainhealthcare.org/ext/Dcmnt?ncid=520684503

4. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    She’s very alert and acts like nothing is wrong with her.

Unfortunately the others were not so lucky, they’re all missing except for our duck, turkey, and Sebright trio. We found our prized rooster who was an amazing leader and pet ripped apart as well. He passed away a few minutes ago in my arms. I am completely heartbroken and grief stricken.

DobieLover and penny1960 like this.
  5. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Now I’ve had a silkie scalped before and used super glue to reattach the skin. Should I try this again for her?

penny1960 likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh no, I am so sorry about your other birds. Are the rest going to be secure in a locked coop tonight and tomorrow? Were they out free ranging when they were attacked?

Her being alert and acting normally is a very good sign, especially since some suffer internal injuries.

As for the superglue, it can be good to close up cuts or for crop surgery. I really hate to recommend closing up a dirty wound from an animal bite. Usually leaving them open to drain, and to close up from the inside out is less of a risk for infection. Can you see a vet? Most are not available or too expensive for treating chickens for many of us.

If you do close the wound, I would leave a space open on one end for drainage. Let us know how she does.

7. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    This is great advice.
    It is not recommended in humans to close animal bite wounds. I imagine that goes for chickens, too.

DobieLover and Eggcessive like this.
  8. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Well, I began to but it didn’t work as well as it did last time so I stoped. Should we wrap it or something to keep it moist though?

9. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    And yes, they were out free ranging. They will now be secluded to their coop and pen for a while.

penny1960 likes this.
  10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    please listen to @Eggcessive she is right Please do not cover it is all I will say clean it
    Vetericyn or betadine are preferred but mildly warm a weak soap wash will do it

Eggcessive and DobieLover like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: