EMERGENCY!! **Attention please read***

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farm316, Mar 27, 2015.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

We had previously let the Ducks and the Chickens out, and I thought that he was almost sleeping, later I see him and his eye is like this in the picture. he still has it, its just red with puss.. I have learned my lesson and they won't be out together ever again.. Its my fault and I won't to fix this problem, so please help.

What must I do to help keep him comfortable? I have him in a large dog crate and I need help.. What Medecine?

Any help is most appreciated.

His eyeball is still there, he can still see out of it, but I think its blurry

2. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    Sorry about ur duck, don't know what to tell u. Just thought I would at least acknowledge ur post.
    Maybe call a vet & ask what to wash his eye out with? Maybe some eye wash. Our human eyes r very resilient. Yellow puss is OK, Green puss is Not=infection. Maybe an eye ointment & just time. Mother nature is amazing!
    I guess I thought of something to tell u, huh! Blessings to u & ur duck.:hugs

3. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Thank you so much. He is feeling a bit better, We don't have a 'Vet' For poultry, just a dog and a cat.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You could mix up a saline solution to clean out the eye and make sure it doesn't get infected. Do a Google search and you should find an easy way to mix some up. :) I don't think it looks too horrible, but I am not an expert and there's no way to know for sure if there is any permanent damage done to the eye without a vet of course. But hopefully with some rest and flushing out of the eye for a few days it'll be good as new. I would try 3 times a day with the saline solution, if possible. Good luck and keep us updated!

5. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    If you have a TSC or other feed/livestock store nearby, Vetericyn is great for an eye injury/irritation. They also make a specific eye wash spray, and a pink eye spray - but the active ingredients in the three products are the same, just in different percentages.

Spray/drip a bit the Vetericyn couple times a day in the effected eye, and also be sure they have a clean water source where they can fully dunk their heads to help keep their eyes/nares clean. (adding a couple teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to the wash water will help keep bacteria down as well)

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks guys!

I might try the apple cider vinegar, I also will probably conjure up a saline solution, I am not sure that his eye is infected.. Better be safe than sorry,
    Can I use human eye saline on ducks??
    As you mentioned @tdd2 Can he drink the water with apple cider vinegar?

7. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA

Yes - actually, I add a bit of ACV to my ducks drinking water as well - good for them :)

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    See if your local feed store has terramycin eye ointment.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Note that ACV must be used in plastic containers, not metal ones.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Any color pus is a sign of infection, not just green. :D

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by