EMERGENCY! Baby chick down!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RosieGoatOwner, Apr 21, 2019.

1. RosieGoatOwner

RosieGoatOwner In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    North MS
    Help! I currently have a baby turkey, about 1 week old, I found him/her in my coop-like brooder, with our brooding heating pad on top of it! It's drinking a little from a syringe, but not eating and just lying in my hand almost sleeping? It is still alive, im pretty sure, but what can I do? At first he tried to stand up, but couldn't keep his balance. I checked for broken bones already. Help!!! It is peeping and I'm holding it next to our heater. I'll post pics in a minute

2. RosieGoatOwner

Jan 23, 2019
    North MS
    And the other turkey just like it is starting to get wobbly too...

3. RosieGoatOwner

Jan 23, 2019
    North MS
    It's not peeping anymore and it keeps opening its mouth big rythemically and not making any noise, and not drinking anymore. I think it's dying. help!!

4. RosieGoatOwner

Jan 23, 2019
    North MS
    Nevermind. It's dead. I don't know why people post here excpecting to get help. Dissapointing.

5. baby-blue

baby-blue Songster

Mar 21, 2019
    I don’t think the lack of answers was intentional, and I’m so very sorry you lost the little one. It’s so hard to lose the babies. I’ve not dealt with turkeys, though I’ve had my fair share of unwell chicks. Were there any other symptoms? What’s the heat source and what’s being fed? Is the other one still alive?

nightowl223 likes this.
  6. Sometimes, no one is on at just the very moment you need help. Other times, we can get answers within a few minutes. It's not like we are paid to sit and watch for alerts to come up saying help is needed. I'm sorry, you just fell through the occasional crack that happens.

I'm sorry you lost your poult. I know poults are sometimes very hard to raise to juvenile age - I have had that issue many times, myself. It's just that poults need more help to learn what to do and not do when they are tiny. Did you have any chicks with them to help them? It's something I ALWAYS strongly suggest people do when they are going to attempt to raise turkey poults.

baby-blue likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: